new plant testing

Started by Dune, May 11, 2021, 02:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Limonium, a species of coastal mudflats and adjacent areas. Only thing I forgot is to set the water roughness to zero for PT for the watery area on the left >:(

KlausK

Looking very good, Dune.

My mother had this type in her garden.
They grow up to 60-100 cm tall under favourable conditions.
And they are found standing together very tight like bushes or hedges.
Cool 8) .

CHeers, Klaus

ps: water roughness - does that cause the slightly cloudy appearance of the water surface?
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks, Klaus. And yes, for standard render it's a hard reflection at 0.01, but for PT it smoothes as soon as roughness is above zero.

mhaze

cocateho26

Very natural, it looks great!

WAS

They look nice. Maybe a little more light transmission in the leaves (some yellowy glow from the backside)

The flowers are sure nice looking. Are they just cards?

zaxxon

Lovely flowers, lovely model. Speedtree? The rest of the scene is very nice, much more then a simple backdrop.  :)

Dune

Thanks guys. Yes ST, and no, the flowers are 2 types of geometry, imported as mesh and grown on top branches. I was afraid it was going to be a very heavy model, but it's only 8MB as obj. And the leaves shouldn't really have more translucency, as they are thicker than 'normal' leaves.

WAS

Are you sure? Almost every leaf has at least 10% visible light transmission, and up to 30% red and ultraviolets (together giving the yellowish hues), as not to kill any leaves they overlap (and not kill forest floors). These do seem like thicker leaves, so the light transmission is very green. But they seem to transmit light even in overcast conditions.

I dunno, they do look nice. The flowers look very good (compared to references) but the leaves look very solid with hard immediately dark the shadows are with just one leaf overlaying another.

Dune

These are not the species I made, there are a lot of subspecies and cultivars. Mine are the Limonium vulgare; sea lavender, which could, by the nature of its habitat, have sturdier leaves. Translucency is set at 0.3, which I thought was quite appropriate. A tad more could well be, but it's minute.

They do need a little work on the topbranches, though.

WAS

Ohhh, I see. Those are quite thick aren't they. Though if you're right up on the coast like that you'd need rigid stalks and foliage I suppose if you're not just a grass.

Dune

Yeah. Coastal habitats are actually very nice to make, despite them being very flat. Some refs.

WAS

Those are lovely refs. Definitely gives me inspiration.

pixelpusher636

Dynamite work as usual Sir. That vegetation looks so convincing!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.