chopped off peeks issue

Started by Nala1977, May 13, 2021, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

i also tried to remove the duplicated shape, and do one single pillar, increasing the displacement to over 1700 and it works just fine.
So once you add more shapes it bugs out. This is why i think its a bug, because it doesnt have anything to do with the displacement height, i raised it up to 10000 in height and it was rendering fine.

Nala1977

yeah, this doesnt make any sense. I duplicated 4 of them and it chops off just one.. some werid thing going on.

WAS

Displacement Tolerance seems like the tolerance of displacement before wonky things happen. So 2 mau be good for some spires but not others.

Notice in your test more disp causes the issue. I think this has to do with a combination noise space, displacement exceeding it, and where it falls in polys of the planet.

Kevin Kipper

While I don't understand why this is happening, I found that turning off the Microvertex Jittering eliminates the sharp cutoff on the second displacement.  See attached image.

The documentation for this parameter which is located under the Renderers Subdiv Settings states "This setting is important to reduce the appearance of straight lines in some displaced surfaces. For still images we recommend you keep this turned ON. For animations, OFF seems to produce a more stable animation, but ON sometimes reduces render times by a small amount."