Blender mesh versus opacity 'issue'

Started by Dune, June 02, 2021, 01:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I think it has to do with what I mentioned, calculating all those masks and their orientation to light sources, etc. At least especially with cycles which is calculating all those masks, and then what it sees, and trying to do realistic bounce on it all. It could also possibly introduce redundancy where stuff is calculating for the whole card, then masked.

Dune

Perhaps they should rewrite the code; first obliterate all masked out, then do light calculations, etc.
But Sjefen, that's what the guy told me too, faster as mesh without alpha, but with alpha it needs more translucency to get rid of dark plant centers, which costs.
Some leaves are so complex that a tight mesh can't be made, so you need an additional alpha, as Steve pointed out too, so I wonder if just a little alpha (black) would cost as much as a lot more alpha...
But anyway, my question has been answered, thanks all.

WAS

I think honestly these shortcomings of renderers is why hero trees are becoming more popular. I noticed in Pixar's latest movies that it seems they are using real 3D modeled sprigs in their scenes. Least the way they interact with wind and in some cases can literally rotate in that wind. With these sort of node network rendered scenes wouldn't have as much hindrance from memory limitations using a farm.

Dune

Yes, with machine power upped over the years (decades) polys don't matter much anymore.