The heart-shaking cloud video

Started by gao_jian11, June 02, 2021, 08:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gao_jian11

Amazing cloud video, this video shows some glimpses of cloud formation that have been witnessed in the past few years from outside the QuadSpinner office window.Hope to reproduce it with terragen.
https://youtu.be/b1qw0_6xc4o

sboerner

Nice. Good luck with that project!

WAS

Wow, those are some beautiful clouds. The second one especially is just a "wow" shot.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Looks like a baby Cumulonimbus in that middle photo.  Love it!

David

I'm looking forward to see how you get on with the cloud iridescence, I'm not aware that Terragen can do that? But very good luck!

WAS

Quote from: David on June 07, 2021, 04:19:08 PMI'm looking forward to see how you get on with the cloud iridescence, I'm not aware that Terragen can do that? But very good luck!

I don't think there is any cloud iridescence in these shots. That's haze and smog clutting blue light, leaving reds in the low light able to make it through the clouds.

David

Quote from: WAS on June 07, 2021, 05:04:11 PM
Quote from: David on June 07, 2021, 04:19:08 PMI'm looking forward to see how you get on with the cloud iridescence, I'm not aware that Terragen can do that? But very good luck!

I don't think there is any cloud iridescence in these shots. That's haze and smog clutting blue light, leaving reds in the low light able to make it through the clouds.
WAS, the iridescence is visible in various sequences on the video not the 3 jpg's. Take a look at 0:25sec, 01:25sec, 1:40 - 1:47sec, and the final sequence. One sequence shows a Corona Aureole around the moon. Professor of Physics, Robert Greenler produced a wonderful study on this subject in 1980, Rainbows, Halos, and Glories, Cambridge UP. It's worth trying to find a copy, it's packed with over 200 photos and illustrations.

WAS

Oh I see. I didn't actuall watch the video.

However, it's easy to mock. It's only occurring in direct lighting, and you can modulate that with colour. So you can literally use a 3D simple shape and put it up somewhere you'd want the effect, make it soft, and make a colour map, warp it by the clouds scalar as displacement (smoothed with smoothing function) to follow its structure, then smooth possibly, and you might have something.

Probably use final position for noise and modulation maps.