Muting Terragen Nodes

Started by Balletdude, June 20, 2021, 05:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balletdude

Hi sorry if this has been asked.
As well as Terragen I use Blender, in that you can view the effects of specific nodes  and see the effect it has on the scene, essentially muting the nodes that come after it. 
Is there a way to mute nodes in a similar way in terragen. It would be useful when looking at sample scenes etc to see how each node affects it.

Best

simon

mhaze

Just click on the the node and hit D.

KlausK

hi, I don`t know of any way to disable more then one node at once.
Perhaps if you set up your network with this in mind you could do branches...
But you can of course go through each and every one node and untick "Enable". Cumbersome, sure.

Another way is to look at the node itself in its own 3D preview window.
Right-click on the node and choose "Open Preview in New Window".
That shows what the node is doing at this point in the network.
It is the middle one of the three icons under the "Stay Open" button on the nodes Property Page.
Not all of the nodes have them anymore.
You can move around in this window like in the scene though it does not show the whole environment. It is a perspective view.

Don`t open too many of them from too may nodes at once or TG crashes.

Hope that helps.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Balletdude

Thank you both for your help.

sboerner

You can select as many nodes as you wish, either with shift-click or by dragging a marquee around them, then press "d" to disable them all at once. Reselect and press "d" to enable them again. You can do the same with a group by highlighting the group's title bar and pressing "d." (This works even though the group properties window does not have a check box.) I try to build my networks in a modular fashion so I can turn sections on and off as needed. (For example, if you put all your foliage in a group, you can temporarily hide it and move around the scene more quickly to work on other details.)

QuoteRight-click on the node and choose "Open Preview in New Window".
This is a new one to me. But when I try it I just get an orthogonal (Y) view, just like clicking the small blue box in the properties panel. Maybe the perspective view has been disabled? Planetside does not recommend opening extra perspective views, and removed that functionality from the main 3D view when RTP was introduced.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on June 20, 2021, 10:45:25 PMThis is a new one to me. But when I try it I just get an orthogonal (Y) view, just like clicking the small blue box in the properties panel. Maybe the perspective view has been disabled? Planetside does not recommend opening extra perspective views, and removed that functionality from the main 3D view when RTP was introduced.

You can middle-click and drag to change the orientation. I forget the keyboard key to do it with regular click. And yeah, no RTP yet still.

KlausK

Quote from: sboerner on June 20, 2021, 10:45:25 PMYou can select as many nodes as you wish, either with shift-click or by dragging a marquee around them, then press "d" to disable them all at once. Reselect and press "d" to enable them again...
ha! I never tried, nor thought of trying that ::) . Is this documented functionality?

Quote from: WAS on June 21, 2021, 12:26:49 AMThis is a new one to me...
that is why I wrote not every node has this functionality anymore.

Just use the Alt + mouse buttons to move around in preview.
It just does not show the whole scene when you rotate or move.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

sboerner

QuoteIs this documented functionality?
It is now. ;) Seriously, it's just something that I've done since learning the "d" shortcut. Never bothered looking it up.

Thanks for the tip, Jordan. I'll have to try that.