cooler for ryzen 9 5900?

Started by Dune, July 07, 2021, 08:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Looking for information and experience again... I've finally decided to go for a Ryzen 9 5900 on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro, but am warned about space inside an ATX case (Fractal Design Meshify 2). It obviously needs a cooler and I thought the Dark Rock 4 (or 4 Pro) would do nicely, but it's kind of bulky, and also needs some leeway from the RAM sticks, etc. Then I found that there are AIO coolers. I understand these are watercoolers, and they look quite slim.
So, what do you think would be best to do?

WAS

Id probably go for water cooled if you can't get a good prism or something style air cooler. Your board can take a radiators up to 360 mm (front), 420 mm (top) and 280 mm (base). Or so specs say.

At the same time there is a XL version of this case for only 40 USD more.

Dune

Thanks. I'll do some more research whether air cooled is better than water cooled or vice versa. Might not make much difference.

WAS

It's mostly fine, but there has been some comparisons that show fan handles heat spikes during CPU-bound tasks much better, because it can immediately rev up and impact heat, where a radiator is cycling water to cool it in the radiator. While it isn't as slow as it sounds cycling the water, it does make an impact on the ability to handle heat spikes. But that all depends on the quality of the heatsink, as well as usually a custom heat curve for the fans to be on top of the temps.

Dune

Yeah, you menioned that in another thread I remember vaguely. I also found that AIO coolers might get problems with leaking (an dthen you're in trouble) and the fluids degrade over time, so recommendation is an air cooler if possible. I'm going with the Noctua NH-U12A, which makes it a bit easier to fit RAM bars in over the BeQuiet dark Rock Pro 4.
Only thing I now have asked is whether a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro needs a BIOS update for the Ryzen 9 5900 to work. It might.

Almost there....

WAS

That is the main reason I won't use them. Sure they may be rare, but they are often board and CPU fryers when it happens. I don't like that risk, and I live in a RV and move every 21 days, and have to disconnect and store the PC, so to me it's just not a good risk. But for someone with a PC just sitting in one spot besides cleaning, maybe it's fine. But I also think that relies on the competency of the user setting it up correctly, and firmly, to last.

WAS

Also, you will likely have to update the bios, as they will likely come new and at base config. The F30 bios update includes support for 5000 series. So you'd need a compatible CPU first to update the board.

Dune

Yeah, just checked and it indeed needs a bios update. Solved. The other thing I came across is that memory is getting scarce too. I wanted 2x32GB patriot viper steel 3600MHz, but my vendor only has 3000MHz. I found that it doesn't make a huge difference in rendering (as that's what I mainly do), the CPU is more important.

WAS

Ah I see. And I don't think the viper series has good headroom for overclocking either to get it closer to 3600mhz either.

WAS

PS doing some digging, the lower clock RAM may not make that big of a impact on your work. For gaming/realtime stuff it may matter more.

I think this may be true too, cause when I didn't know you had to manually set RAM speed with my AMD system, my RAM was literally operating at 2133Mhz for a long time, but the RAM is 3200mhz. And when I finally set it correctly I didn't notice any real gains in TG. I did in gaming though streaming the textures from RAM to the GPU VRAM.

I think TG renders too slowly due to CPUs to ever get full benefit of streaming resources from RAM. TG won't be quick enough to utilize the RAM at peak speeds.

Dune

Thanks for your thinking along, I appreciate that! And I think you're right; gaming is very fast, so needs fast turnover of data, rendering is in chunks, and the CPU doing the actual work.
So it was a good enough choice, luckily. Ordered all, so next week I'll be stuffing it all into its box and see how it runs.