Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on December 15, 2007, 01:44:46 PM
Bitboy, we do intend to make a 64 bit version available at some point but it won't be possible to have it completed by Febuary. We will be working on a number of free updates to Terragen 2 throughout 2008 and 64 bit support should be included at some point in that time.
Will there be a free version with 64 bit support?

This thread seems to be turning into an interrogation of the Planetside team... :-[

Oshyan

A 64 bit version of TG2 will not initially be available. Specific limitations of the free version in particular will be announced closer to its release.

- Oshyan

odd

Quote from: Oshyan on December 14, 2007, 04:02:43 PM
We only have a limited pool of multi-core alpha test systems available and there is quite a wide range of possible multi-core configurations...

Hi Oshyan - if you would like an alpha tester with a quad core machine, please do let me know!!
(2 x Opteron 275 dual core 2.21Ghz & 4Gb RAM on XP - bought a full deep TG2 - no problem with signing an NDA)

cheers

//O.

Oshyan

Thanks, I've got a quaddie myself. ;D Any additional testers we take on now would not be strictly for hardware compatibility - the candidate would have to have a particular aptitude for testing and/or a strong desire to put in a decent amount of time testing specific areas. All registered users will have access to the beta soon enough anyway. :)

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Out of interest what areas of interest would Planetside be looking at for testing as I have the time to do this. I would need to know what kind of information testers are required to submit and any particular format (I Don't mean file format) that this information is required in etc, PM me if you don't wish this kind of internal process information placed on the public forum.

If theres a weakness in software I will find it as I tend to use things in unconventional ways, I could have done games testing as a job but didn't always loved finding weakness in game AI while playing and the exploiting them.

I have read a number of times that the testing team at Planetside is small any thing I can do to help in that process I will.

I look forward to the beta in January, but in the mean time if you need help I offer what help I may?

Look forward to working with your good selves.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel           

odd

Quote from: Oshyan on December 19, 2007, 11:27:09 PM
Thanks, I've got a quaddie myself. ;D Any additional testers we take on now would not be strictly for hardware compatibility - the candidate would have to have a particular aptitude for testing and/or a strong desire to put in a decent amount of time testing specific areas. All registered users will have access to the beta soon enough anyway. :)

- Oshyan

Ah! cool :) - well I'm still interested! Not just to get access, but to get to sort out possible quirks that would affect the stuff I'd like to do with TG2 - in essence HD sized animation and print sized images 2000x3000 minimum and much larger. I work as a 3d graphics freelancer so I can do this in parallell with my work. I've done alpha and beta testing with Rhino 3d and I still do it with Brazil R/S. Please let me know if I can be of any use - and what areas you need to have looked at, feedback expected etc cheers //O.

dhavalmistry

is the bug where you could see the bounding box through terrain fixed???

its much easier to place objects that way....you know...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

DeathTwister

Whew lots of posts to read  ;D,

Hay all, been busy and sick and busy and sick and so on, so have not been watching posts here much lately.  Oooops.  Oh wow Great I bought the full deep version so I get a Late Xmas gift like you all as well come Jan 1rst, WooPee......

Yep I have a duel P4 3ghz chip with 2 gigs ram, and it is still slow.  But not as slow as Bryce and they been the standard in slow render times for years, so I plan to get a quad and 16 gigs of ram with a P4 3.5 or so on the next few months, and I bet it will still be slow ROTFL, but I will love it anyway. Dang I love tgd2 the full deep version.

My main concern is the 16 texture limit and while I am excited very much about all that is getting done, I am also sad that more has not been done for the texture limit.  I have been messing with it looking for work arounds to get more then 16, but I more then not have to put many of my models in a folder and wait, and then take many back into Max/XSI and rework the mapping trying to get it down to 16 or so with varying degrees of success. This program has so much more to offer and is so far beyond Vue in so many ways except for texturing and .mat materials.  So one thing I would like to see is a way for us to save the textures we do make in a data base in tgd2 and am wondering if anyone is working on that? as i have never seen any posts on that feature, so figure it isn't in the works at all, but should be down the road at least. I have to admit it is very nice just to be able to drop a model in no matter how many textures there are and turn key and render after placement so hoping someday you guys give that to us as well.

My Company would love to be on the Beta testing team if I was to get asked, and I would love to work on that very area and would give it my all if I had the chance to Dev so if you need a good Artist who can Test well, give me a private email Oshyan, you got it /smiles.....

Here is a shot of some images I have done bringing in Models and grass, and other goodies.

and

Just to show a few I have managed to get into tgd2 and mapped right.  It does seem to take sub-mapping  OK, the trouble is it does see all the extra parts in the model but it will not allow mapping to them gets me frustrated sometimes hugely haha.  Dang it shouldn't be that hard to get updated, it looks like it is almost done, just not connected somehow when I study it.

Also I have heard that we will be able to see the mesh on a Model here soon and am wondering if that is going to be in the release we get on Jan 1-2? As that would help so very much in placing objects for us as I am sure we can all agree on, weather it is a tree, bush, grass, or a Snake, we do need to see the mesh, and would be real sweet to see, select and map that part of the model as well like in other modeling and staging software.  I can only hope hahaha.

Anyway that my 5 cents worth of thought for what it is worth and like the rest I am sooooo very excited about it getting released soon and can't frigging wait hahahaha.  /drools all over Planet Side.  Let me know when and if I can lend a hand in the mapping and texturing dept if you have a need, I have the time for that one, Oh yes I do /winks.

Oh and please come join my Monthly TGD2 Monthly Challenges on http://Renderosity.com and join up and come add a entry in to the Contests. The Terragen Forums are at:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12398
We have our first Themed Challenge going now and we sure could use all your entries to make it more fun, all my friends here, so come on over and visit and come play.

OK have fun my Friends and talk soon /smiles....

DeathTwisters Allay

AKA Maylock

Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

sjefen

Will there be any new options for the grass in the final release in february?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

buchvecny

there wont be any 64bit version initially ? :( guyz come on... you say it will be pro software... but without multi core and 64bit support you can hardly call it pro.

reck

Quote from: buchvecny on December 23, 2007, 08:40:06 PM
there wont be any 64bit version initially ? :( guyz come on... you say it will be pro software... but without multi core and 64bit support you can hardly call it pro.

The first release will be multi core.

JimB

Photoshop's not 64-bit yet, either, and way beyond Beta.

Q: "How do you eat a whole elephant?"
A: "One bite at a a time."
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

buchvecny

Quote from: reck on December 23, 2007, 10:18:21 PM
Quote from: buchvecny on December 23, 2007, 08:40:06 PM

The first release will be multi core.

It wont be full multicore support, if i understood Oshyan well.

Quote from: JimB on December 24, 2007, 01:08:27 AM
Photoshop's not 64-bit yet, either, and way beyond Beta.

Q: "How do you eat a whole elephant?"
A: "One bite at a a time."

You confused two different things. Im talking about support for 64bit. 32bit Photoshop can run on windows vista 64 bit. So im asking... will terragen run on windows vista 64bit?

Will

I would imagine so, I've never had problems running 32 bit programs on 64 bit systems before.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.