Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Quote from: seth93 on December 13, 2007, 10:19:36 AM
Quote from: ro-nin on December 13, 2007, 09:26:24 AM
Wil water transparency be included in the pack???
???

nothing's written about it ! Oo
so i hope it will

Time to get out the quotes! lol

Quote from: MattRay-traced transparency and reflections with improved stability and rendering speed[\quote]

Seth

aaaah Ray-traced transparency... it means water transparency... ok ! lol !
damn i didn't even know that !!! damn newbie i am ^^

RichTwo

I wouldn't know a ray-traced whatever from global what-not.  I'm just happy to see Planetside has been putting an all-out effort to improve TG2, and would only release it when they felt it was ready.  Cheers to all the staff here!
They're all wasted!

rcallicotte

I don't think I'm misunderstanding when I say that I'm not sure the January or February updates include the free version.  I don't have the email in front of me, but I know the free version is nearing its final update.  Right?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

zionner

I may not be planetside..However I think this is whats happening:

(Unless there is 1 more update) There will be a small update for the Free version of TG 2, but this will not include the features of the beta, i believe the beta is for Purchaced TG 2 Owners (however I may be wrong) Afterwards on the release date a full Free version (with the normal restrictions) will be released along with a final version of Deep.

Oshyan

Quote from: zionner on December 13, 2007, 12:45:32 PM
I may not be planetside..However I think this is whats happening:

(Unless there is 1 more update) There will be a small update for the Free version of TG 2, but this will not include the features of the beta, i believe the beta is for Purchaced TG 2 Owners (however I may be wrong) Afterwards on the release date a full Free version (with the normal restrictions) will be released along with a final version of Deep.
That's very close, but we don't actually plan a free version update at all before the final release. The Beta will be the only public release and as noted in the announcement it will be for registered users only. Once TG2 has been finalized and released we will release an updated free version (based on the same code as the TG2 final).

- Oshyan

zionner

thanks for that Oshyan (Makes me happy I did buy it :P)

I for one cant wait for transparency!

Also, will there be more features in the final release then we will see in the beta?

thanks
Zionner
P.S I just noticed a part of what i said dosent make sense! lol

Oshyan

Generally a "beta" release is "feature complete" but still needs work in stability and general polish. That is essentially how we will be treating our beta release as well - significant new features will not be added after that release. There may be further UI polish and other small things, but most of our efforts will be concentrated on ensuring stability and compatibility.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

A specific release date is excellent news and the small delay is completely insignificant when you consider these three facts:
1. We've all been waiting for TG2 for ages now.
2. T2TP was simply amazing.
3. There were a lot of small but really annoying bugs in T2TP which really needed fixing (like the GI inconsistencies).

reck

One thing that I think would be really useful is the ability to see previous renders in the render window. So the render window would have like a forward and back button to move between all the renders you have made. This would be very helpful when tweaking different settings and seeing the results and the difference they make to the scene without having to save dozens of images. It's also easier to see the change when you can flick forward and backward between two renders.

I'm sure I remember a post a while ago by someone at planetside (I think) saying that this facility would be implemented at some point in the future. Will this be in the final release or is this something that will follow later in the year?

schmeerlap

Good work Planetside. Will the documentation be complete, and be included for download with the application? (you know, all the WIPs and in progress's).
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

zionner

Quote from: Oshyan on December 13, 2007, 02:20:06 PM
Generally a "beta" release is "feature complete" but still needs work in stability and general polish. That is essentially how we will be treating our beta release as well - significant new features will not be added after that release. There may be further UI polish and other small things, but most of our efforts will be concentrated on ensuring stability and compatibility.

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan, One more question.

In the beta, how much has render times improved? Cause as everyone knows, TG 2's render times are really....well...time consuming! lol

So any guess on how much improvement we will see?

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Oshyan on December 13, 2007, 02:20:06 PM

- Oshyan

So am I to take it that after the final release that future feature requests will be turned down for the foreseeable future then?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Matt

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 13, 2007, 06:29:33 PM
So am I to take it that after the final release that future feature requests will be turned down for the foreseeable future then?

No, that's not correct. Oshyan is saying that there will be no significant new features between the Beta and the final 2.0 release, in answer to Zionner's question. The Beta is just a beta version of the final release. Development will continue long after 2.0 has been released.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.