Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 11, 2008, 09:35:59 AM
Yes, it's long overdue, but frankly, it's no surprise. I think I predicted this over a year ago here in this forum - no disrespect to Planetside intended, but it was obvious that long ago to anyone with experience in delivering commercial software apps that there was a long, long way to go before this was a finished, polished product.

I suspect it's getting closer now, and seeing as I've already choked up the cash, I guess I'll continue to wait.

I must say, though, that juvenile cheerleading and denigrating comments to those less patient, when coming from people who HAVEN'T PAID THE MONEY, are pretty friggin' irritating. If you haven't paid the money, shut the hell up when those that have are expressing their unhappiness.

You paid for a pre-purchase release, the fact that planetside are allowing us to then get the updates to the full version without having to pay again is just a matter of courtesy, there's nothing stopping them charging us again for the fully released product, what we paid for was the unfinished product. Might want to think about that before placing too much weight on that argument. Anyhow let's move on.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Harvey Birdman

We paid for a pre-release version, the promise of regular updates, a promised final release date of 2.0 on Jan 1 2008, and updates to all versions up to 3.0.

What have you paid for?

joshbakr

Quote from: PG on April 11, 2008, 10:07:52 AM
Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 11, 2008, 09:35:59 AM
Yes, it's long overdue, but frankly, it's no surprise. I think I predicted this over a year ago here in this forum - no disrespect to Planetside intended, but it was obvious that long ago to anyone with experience in delivering commercial software apps that there was a long, long way to go before this was a finished, polished product.

I suspect it's getting closer now, and seeing as I've already choked up the cash, I guess I'll continue to wait.

I must say, though, that juvenile cheerleading and denigrating comments to those less patient, when coming from people who HAVEN'T PAID THE MONEY, are pretty friggin' irritating. If you haven't paid the money, shut the hell up when those that have are expressing their unhappiness.

You paid for a pre-purchase release, the fact that planetside are allowing us to then get the updates to the full version without having to pay again is just a matter of courtesy, there's nothing stopping them charging us again for the fully released product, what we paid for was the unfinished product. Might want to think about that before placing too much weight on that argument. Anyhow let's move on.

Courtesy? Maybe? But I think "more" a need for Paying Guinea Pigs, funds to survive and to continue the development of TG. And I will move on when I get friggin' ready to move on. 

nikita

I paid for this: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/prepurchase_tg2.shtml

I certainly didn't pay hundreds of dollars for a 18-month time limited buggy beta  ;D

reck

Quote from: PG on April 11, 2008, 10:07:52 AM

You paid for a pre-purchase release, the fact that planetside are allowing us to then get the updates to the full version without having to pay again is just a matter of courtesy

Er no. I paid for a full copy of Terragen 2. By paying the pre-release price I'm able to download and use the beta versions until the full version is released, nothing to do with courtesy. Would you (or anyone) really pay hundreds of dollars for a beta copy of the software and then pay again for the same version but without the bugs when it is released?

sonshine777

Were halfway through page 30 of this thread, only 4 1/2 pages to go! Keep it up guys! ;D

Harvey Birdman

;D

I was just WAITING for you to jump in with that....

:D

sonshine777

Marcos Silveira

FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............   ;D

PG

Quote from: reck on April 11, 2008, 10:48:48 AM
Er no. I paid for a full copy of Terragen 2. By paying the pre-release price I'm able to download and use the beta versions until the full version is released, nothing to do with courtesy. Would you (or anyone) really pay hundreds of dollars for a beta copy of the software and then pay again for the same version but without the bugs when it is released?

Considering that almost every other landscape software runs into the thousands I'd have to go with yes. They said on the website that you will recieve the updates up to but not including TG3. If they didn't say that, however, they would not be obligated to provide you with the updates. That's all I'm saying

Cyber-Angel

As a paid Up (Deep + Animation) user I have this to say on this issue. What ever the said issue/s are that are affecting the release of the Beta and the fact that it is now the second week of April it makes one wonder how that will affect both the final gold release and subsequent versions of the product?

My feelings of late on the issue have lead down the road of adding the number of months already accumulated due to the issues (What ever they are) that are coursing the delay to the release of subsequent up dates and/ or the development lead time (that could be concurrent) and gold release of TG3.

Having looked at the current main page of the Planetside site (No offense to them any any way) one has a hard time discerning the direction intended for the product and also of things been made up as things go along: but most importantly it reminds one of the "Lights On" model of business, that is make just enough money to keep the lights on.

A prime concern is that of Interoperability and accessibility to allow flexibility of use in pipelines how for example is some thing created in TG2 meant to integrate with content created with Maya or any of the other software used in production and post production for that matter? How are to going to integrate TG2 backgrounds and elements from other software which is capable of other production deliverables such as crowd simulation or other type of work such as particles or other such thing?

You have issues with lighting match, shadows and other factors if away can not be found to import TG2 scenes into other software, if you can import animation, lighting and other data form package to package then surly there must be away for TG2 scenes to work in other software, unless it is envisioned that TG2 scenes be integrated via a lengthy and costly compositing process involving color grading and matching, shadow matching and so on I think that professional compositors have enough to do on feature production already without having to do things that should have be handled in the primary creation software in the first place.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The above aside, I don't mind waiting for major kinks to be worked out that is all fine and dandy but how long is long enough? I know its the same old swan song about Planetside been a small company and all that but paying customers (Who paid up front) are only prepared to be paid so much lip service, before wanting to know what is going on as time goes on that is when rumor, speculation and yes conspiracy theories start to emerge and for the software under development to be technologically outdated.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D                                               

PG

Well maybe this dispute could be quelled by those who want to see some action making some suggestions, my position is that the program works adequtely enough for a pre release and we should be thankful that we have that. Most companies in the same situation would keep you in the dark completely (ever heard of Alan Wake?). However I understand that many of us have paid for it and, while I stand with my position that we have the working product that we paid for, some feel that it is not. So if you've got any ideas then maybe it could help the dev team with a release strategy to take the pressure of a deadline off what I assume is a long list of burdens.

joshbakr

Quote from: PG on April 10, 2008, 02:35:58 PM
Quote from: joshbakr on April 10, 2008, 01:45:39 PM
Anybody want to take a guess at what I'm dying to ask?

Can't wait for the beta though, I've got about 15 renders that keep crashing.

So much for your working product.

PG

Well if you can find a single piece of software that's bug free I'll burn you in hell for doing the work of satan :D

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: PG on April 11, 2008, 12:50:53 PM
Well maybe this dispute could be quelled by those who want to see some action making some suggestions, my position is that the program works adequtely enough for a pre release and we should be thankful that we have that. Most companies in the same situation would keep you in the dark completely (ever heard of Alan Wake?). However I understand that many of us have paid for it and, while I stand with my position that we have the working product that we paid for, some feel that it is not. So if you've got any ideas then maybe it could help the dev team with a release strategy to take the pressure of a deadline off what I assume is a long list of burdens.

I have plenty of ideas on these matters but most of these are for the most part for this company at the present time could be only pipe dreams, but they include outsourcing coding work (To say India) to offset primary work load on the core team among others.

Many of my ideas require two things that Planetside don't have right now Human Capital and Fiscal Resources so by these factors alone and the fact that they would more likely then not be thrown back at me with a "Thanks but no thanks..Don't call us We'll call you once We've tried every one else in Roller-Dex) stock response.

By the By my model for how not to handle software development is the space simulation game Battle Cruiser 3000 developed by Derick Smart and is regarded as been in the Top Five worst games ever made.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D