Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

It's in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

joshbakr

Looking back to TG 9.43 and water transparency.  Better than nothing.

Harvey Birdman

If you haven't seen the images yet, it's probably because they aren't ready. If they were expected this week and aren't ready, my guess would be that the renders didn't complete as expected. Either they crashed, revealing new bugs inthe renderer, or they just took longer than expected (potentially revealing new bugs, as well).

That would be my guess, anyway.

Arandil

I just want to remind any non-programmers here that programming is a lot like being a goalie, the goals blocked are often taken for granted, but the goals missed are almost always front and center in the attention.

joshbakr

Quote from: Arandil on March 22, 2008, 01:08:01 PM
I just want to remind any non-programmers here that programming is a lot like being a goalie, the goals blocked are often taken for granted, but the goals missed are almost always front and center in the attention.

Yeah you are right. However, I'm not sure how long you have been using TG or how long you have been waiting. But some of us have been waiting a Hell of a long time! Years and Years to be exact. And this coming in to the Forum once and awhile to tell us they are going to present something new just to appease us (to calm down the Community) and then not delivering is getting old. I have heard what you are saying so many many times and that's getting old also. If you don't know the History of Planetside or Terragen the substance of your comment to me is very shallow. But thank you anyway.

scott8933

I don't often visit this thread (26 pages and counting!) but is it just water transparency that's holding a lot of you guys up? There's got to be a workaround of some sort, no? Like a great big plane instead, use a surface shader that has some water displacement properties and is also transparent... you know, something like that?

That above image from tg1 is pretty nice, can't that export the object and texture?

Hey, just trying to help.

Matt

Here are two simple tests showing a water plane with basic transparency. These are based on a scene that Luc Bianco sent me to test with. The water isn't anything special, but it does show that transparency is working and that the rays are being refracted by the water. I know the water's edge is a little too sharp to look natural, but that can be improved with a little work with the shaders.

Prettier scenes like that v0.9 render which joshbakr posted could easily be rendered with the new renderer. As more testing is done I think that you'll start to see some really nice images.

(Images follow below)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Arandil

Quote from: joshbakr on March 22, 2008, 01:23:41 PM
Yeah you are right. However, I'm not sure how long you have been using TG or how long you have been waiting. But some of us have been waiting a Hell of a long time! Years and Years to be exact. And this coming in to the Forum once and awhile to tell us they are going to present something new just to appease us (to calm down the Community) and then not delivering is getting old. I have heard what you are saying so many many times and that's getting old also. If you don't know the History of Planetside or Terragen the substance of your comment to me is very shallow. But thank you anyway.

I started using Terragen in the late nineties, honestly can't remember the year anymore (getting older ;D), so it's been a while for me too.  I've also worked in IT the entire time, and am currently a project lead and I architect enterprise wise application environments for my company.  I know precisely how IT projects go, and it's Murphy's Law every day.  It's running into unknowns you can't predict.

Planetside is going to get flak if they don't say anything, they're going to get flak if they do.  I'm sure they've thought of this many times.

If people are going to express something to the development team here, consider the practical results.

What practical result does anyone expect from umpteen people posting umpteen variations of "You're late, it sucks, and maybe you've been trying to trick us"?

EDIT:  Apart from some screenshots right after I post,  I mean?   :-\

Matt

Matt

choronr

Very impressive Matt. Thank you for the displays of your team's progress. This looks very promising!

joshbakr

Well I'll be damn!  I see river bed!

Thanks for posting these Matt. And Thanks to Luc for rendering them. This is a big step forward for instilling hope, at lease for me.

Glad you liked my pretty water. LOL

nvseal

These are looking really good. Can't wait to see more (and to get my hands on it  ;)).