Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

that looks very good to me ^^
good to see those pics ! Thank you !

sonshine777

Thanks Matt! Better than mine thats for sure. :)

NWsenior07

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, those look good. Waiting to play with it.

:)

dhavalmistry

Matt those are looking really good...I am looking forward to transparency!

I would like to know couple of things tho..

1. render stats on both images
2. how you did those river side rock forms (if its not too much trouble)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Thanks, Matt.  Can't wait to work with.  But, of course, I will.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for posting 2 previews on the water transparency, the refractions look good, though critically as I am I'm wondering if you can show an example where there's less transparency. The examples show almost 100% transparent water and except for the refractions look almost the same as the workaround done by others here.

I'd like to see an example (almost) similar to what JoshBaker posted. With less transparency and a transparency color.

cyphyr

Interesting and promising results, thanks for showing the progress so far. l would be interested to know if the transparency in the beta/alpha will be depth dependent and colour corrective.
Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

choronr

I would expect that if you can use image maps, you might also be able to use caustics. Also, I hope that sometime in the future, we would also be able to apply shore foam and white caps.

Oshyan

There is no caustics function and, as we have stated before, it's unlikely to be included in the near future. They can however easily be faked with image maps as Choronr mentioned.

Depth attenuation and coloration will be supported with the water transparency system.

The rocks are a Luc creation, so you'd have to ask him how they were done.

- Oshyan

lightning

these look great matt ;D
i got this wee program that generates caustics if anyone wants it
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hobghisnojr

joshbakr

Quote from: lightning on March 24, 2008, 03:28:15 AM
these look great matt ;D
i got this wee program that generates caustics if anyone wants it
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hobghisnojr

Nice lead Lighting. I think I have tried this program in the past for use with TG9. But I did find that a photo of Caustics seemed to work better, at lease for me. And I'm sure as chornor said by using a Caustics Image Map placed under a Transparent Water Plane in TG Beta would also work. Just keep in mind that one usually only sees this effect with a high sun position and proper surface agitation. Attached is a caustics sample rendered in TG9. Not perfect but it does work.

FrankB

Quote from: choronr on March 23, 2008, 10:52:12 PM
I would expect that if you can use image maps, you might also be able to use caustics. Also, I hope that sometime in the future, we would also be able to apply shore foam and white caps.

I find that white caps are relatively easy to make. I usually just plug a power fractal to the water shader's input, that creates the white color (no displacement of course), and slide coverage to the left until only a few white spots remain every here and there.
Obviously you need the right feature, lead-in and smallest scale to look good.

Regard,
Frank

moodflow

Quote from: FrankB on March 25, 2008, 08:16:40 AM
Quote from: choronr on March 23, 2008, 10:52:12 PM

I find that white caps are relatively easy to make. I usually just plug a power fractal to the water shader's input, that creates the white color (no displacement of course), and slide coverage to the left until only a few white spots remain every here and there.
Obviously you need the right feature, lead-in and smallest scale to look good.

Regard,
Frank

One idea is to use a surface layer and set a minimum slope constraint so the white color only appears on slopes greater than a certain degree, like 30 for instance.  That would mimic how nature does it.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music