Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Ohh! Transparent :P

It might just be me...But I think that water looks like a higher res + more detailed version of Half-Life 2's Water. (If you have'nt played it I'm sure you could get a screenshot and compare for yourself ;) )

Looks amazing though, I cant wait to get my hands on it :P

Matt

Another example of light absorption (also known as "Beer's law"). This is similar to "transparency colour" in Terragen v0.9:

[attach=1]

New! Volumetric shading of the participating medium. In v0.9 you could control the subsurface diffuse colour, but the lighting was only calculated at the surface of the water which would give an unnatural hard shadow and exaggerated shading on rough water. Now there is an option to sample the lighting at multiple points along the ray to give volumetric shadows under the water, although they are quite subtle in this example render:

[attach=2]

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

zionner

cyphyr

Now this is more like it, I can see great potential in these examples. Well done PS and the team. Were a step closer to a release then ? :)
Cant wait
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

That looks fantastic Matt, great work on that so far.
The light absorption looks very convincing/realistic and the volumetric shading looks sweet, great effect! ;D
Much better and satisfying examples than the last one.

(I presume the blocky intersection of the water with the stone in the first image is due to the displacement of the stone itself?)

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 26, 2008, 09:53:06 AM
(I presume the blocky intersection of the water with the stone in the first image is due to the displacement of the stone itself?)

That stone is displaced quite heavily and the microtriangles are stretched quite badly even in a waterless render. That's made worse because the underwater surfaces in these last two renders are at lower detail than the main detail level, but there will be an option to control that. I don't really see a blocky intersection with the water, but the stone is pretty blocky and the variation in colour of the fake stones on top doesn't help either. (The part that I think you might be looking at is all underwater and what you're seeing is fake stones colour variation.)

Matt

Matt

sonshine777

Keep up the great work! I can hardly wait. :)

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Moose

Those look great. Well done guys - cant wait to try the beta! :)