Quote from: calico on March 26, 2008, 09:40:10 AM
:D

Okay then.  It's my birthday.   :o

Quote from: Matt on March 26, 2008, 08:57:43 AM
You're a few days too soon... ;)

Ugh, I'm confused..whos birthday is it:S lol

Harvey Birdman

Matt, those look terrific!

So.... ? Quit holding out on us, man. We wanna play!

;D

joshbakr

Thanks for sharing this. The transparency in the second one looks really good. How about render times which has always been a concern with transparent water.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on March 26, 2008, 10:06:45 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 26, 2008, 09:53:06 AM
(I presume the blocky intersection of the water with the stone in the first image is due to the displacement of the stone itself?)

That stone is displaced quite heavily and the microtriangles are stretched quite badly even in a waterless render. That's made worse because the underwater surfaces in these last two renders are at lower detail than the main detail level, but there will be an option to control that. I don't really see a blocky intersection with the water, but the stone is pretty blocky and the variation in colour of the fake stones on top doesn't help either. (The part that I think you might be looking at is all underwater and what you're seeing is fake stones colour variation.)

Matt

Yes that's what I meant and thanks for the explanation. I was a bit unlucky in my choice of words for intersection ;D

reck

WOW those last two screen shots are amazing. This will totally transform scenes with water in them when we get this update.

Hopefully the alpha guys will get a smooth run and no ugly bugs will show up so us beta guys can have a play soon.

Matt

Render times were about 3 hours (on one core) for each of the latest two renders, on computers which render Karsten's TG2 benchmark in about 5 or 6 minutes.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

joshbakr

Quote from: Matt on March 26, 2008, 01:38:49 PM
Render times were about 3 hours (on one core) for each of the latest two renders, on computers which render Karsten's TG2 benchmark in about 5 or 6 minutes.

Matt

Thanks, that sounds promising.

Seth

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bursteggs

It's not really my birthday.  It just was like my birthday...or Matt's birthday...or something.   ::)

Quote from: Will on March 26, 2008, 07:49:38 PM
Happy Birthday Calico.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

monks

Ooooh, missed these renders. Awesome-o!

monks

DeathTwister

hay all, been busy so I was wondering what happened to the final release of TGD2 for us full owners on any dates yet set for the final release?  it all looks wonderful, but I was wondering when we can expect maybe the release that was going to be the first of the year?? nit toe a pin, just curious gents is all. I am also asking as I run the TGD2 Challenges on Renderosity and we have had every one leave the forums just about on the tgd2 forums challenges anyway, maybe 2-3 thats about it. as thy got disgusted as tear not hard core like us so I was also asked to check out what was happening with the release? Anyway so far I have seen at east 30 people turn back to Vue and other apps because of all this and hope they will come back with the full release, s tying to figure out a stratagy for when it does get released. They were also complaining bout not getting more then just trees int tgd2, and ave a hard time just getting a tree or grass into the program, so I dunna know what to say all, but I sure love this app even if others find it to hard to learn.

So this question is more for the staff then the Artists here. I keep hitting my update button in tgd2 and hope one day it say you have a new patch or update to download ROTFL.....Sorry to bug ya, and wouldn't if it weren't for the Contests we have each month.  Naw that not true, I want the full version update just like we all do "right the frack now" ROTFL lololololololol..........

DeathTwister  aka Maylock
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Matt

Alpha builds with multi-threading and transparent/volumetric water are now being alpha tested. There are some new problems that need to be fixed before it can go to Beta, and it is difficult to predict how long that will take, but I will give you regular status updates from now until the Beta.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: Matt on March 28, 2008, 10:32:21 AM
There are some new problems that need to be fixed before it can go to Beta, and it is difficult to predict how long that will take...
Matt

Do I sense a new caution in predicting release dates?

;D

(Just teasing, Matt. I'm (im)patiently waiting.)

;)   :)