Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshbakr

Quote from: PG on April 11, 2008, 01:08:39 PM
Well if you can find a single piece of software that's bug free I'll burn you in hell for doing the work of satan :D

If that's suppose to be funny I'm not laughing. Apparently you didn't read what I said earlier in this thread?

Which was: Ya know, all I keep hearing is "we don't want to put something out with Bugs"  Now seriously, do you really think there's "not" going to be some hidden unexpected bugs that crop up from time to time? Even after Matt thinks he's got it perfect?  No program is ever perfect and the only Perfect Person that ever existed was hung on a cross.

That said,  if we do encounter a few bugs after the Beta and the final release of TG2 comes out , so what?  We will cross that bridge when we come to it.  I say: Free The Beast!!  This is long overdue! 

Come on! Chant:  FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............   ;D

Harvey Birdman

Well if you can find a single piece of software that's bug free ...  :D

Apparently you're unfamiliar with my work.

;)   :D

FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............   ;D

JimHT

I'm not asking for a final product at this time. But I would have expected something more than 1 update since I prepurchased the software months ago. Not one update since version 1.9.04.1, which dates back to Sept. 7 2007. Nothing. That's quite a while. One would expect that something in active development, would kick out the occasional update.

What I am asking here is, "Are there signs of life?" I mean, other than renders which do nothing for my ability with the software...

PG

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 11, 2008, 01:19:35 PM
Well if you can find a single piece of software that's bug free ...  :D

Apparently you're unfamiliar with my work.

;)   :D

FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............   ;D

iGod? ;D btw what's with this "Free the beast!" stuff? ah screw it...
FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

nikita

:D :D :D

@PG Releasing software that has bugs and releasing software you know has bugs are two different things. :)
Well.. at least they should be. I fear people who develop software in the real world will disagree  ;D

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: PG on April 11, 2008, 01:30:51 PM
iGod? ;D

Hey, even gods makes mistakes. I'd point out my ex-wife as a prime example.

:D   :D

But we digress.    :D

PG

Indeed we do, we got through 2 pages in about an hour ;D Matt's gonna be in trouble if we get to 35 in the next 2 hours.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Harvey Birdman

Matt won't be, but Sonshine777 may be.    ;D

sonshine777

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 11, 2008, 01:41:51 PM
Matt won't be, but Sonshine777 may be.    ;D

I just said it was a theory. I won't feel hurt if it doesn't pan out, theories are like that you know. :D

Marcos Silveira

Com'on everybody:

FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!............... 8)

Fenring

Just give up this software is dead, if there was any development going on we paying customers would sure have received more than 1 update in 7 months and more news than the hillarious beta release announcement. Oh well I've learned my lesson to not buy any of planetsides products again, finished or "technology preview" aka pre-alpha state. Maybe they should have done like the World Machine creator and not take prepurchases since this is seriously harming the companys image.

nikita

I suggest reading the threads you're posting in. ;)

edit: start here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2942.msg38194#msg38194

Harvey Birdman

I don't think it's abandonware. I think they've made an error in underestimating the time required to finish a product, and it was compounded by the business model (advanced sales). Everyone is unhappy and frustrated, but I wouldn't go so far as to accuse them of running a scam.

Of course on the other hand, I can be ridiculously naive, but I don't feel I'm being taken for a ride in this case.

FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............FREE THE BEAST!...............

Fenring

Sorry i dont count posting some render pics "news" since the failure to release the beta version 4 months ago and yes I do read the thread hence my frustration in the first place! Very depressing read.

latego

Quote from: Fenring on April 12, 2008, 09:12:45 AM
Maybe they should have done like the World Machine creator and not take prepurchases since this is seriously harming the companys image.
Or better, like Cajomi (GeoControl daddy): as soon as the new product is usable (even if with known bugs and limitations), release it in, an open beta phase, to all previous version registered users. Every 4-6-8 weeks, a new beta is out, with improvements and bug fixes. Known bugs are noted in the release notes so users are aware of them.

GeoControl 2 is atrociously late (it should have been available for purchase in Sep. '07) but given the steady flux of betas, which show regular improvements, people do not bitch at all (if you don't believe me, go to http://www.cajomi.de/Forum/index.php).

Just to give you an idea, current GC2 build stil doesn't have anything availble in terms of projects (which are the multilayer extension of single layer terrain generation) and tiled builds but nobody complains: we are sure, because we can see it from build to build, that GC2 is steadily growing and feel safe that these missing features will eventually be available.

In the mean time, we can use it and, concurrently, we beta test it thoroughly. We have our cookies while Cajomi sells GC1 licences (which are required to run GC2 betas) and time to develop it. Everybody wins.

Bye

P.S.: I felt a chill going down my spine when I saw mentioned Battle Cruiser 3000... hope that TG developers are not near any coke vending machine (if you don't get the joke, just google for 'Derek Smart' and read about him and the above mentioned kind of appliance).