Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

PG

Quote from: Mandrake on April 13, 2008, 07:40:03 AM
Thanks reck, that shows promise also, hell if I can see those underwater bubbles though.

They can be quite hard to spot at first, took me about 20 minutes. ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Cyber-Angel

I think that the image is fine you get water like this in real life, the graininess in the water in the image reminds me of sediment in the water or tannins form organic matter from some thing like leaves or other such matter.

Matt said that the Water now responds to Beer's Law known also as the Beer Lambert Law the Wikipedia article on is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer-Lambert_law: so it is my read that the absorption and any related reflections would obey that law: also the shadow that PG point out seems correct to me, remembering that light fall off is proportional over distance; example look at sun light coming through a window look at the celling directly above the window you will notice that is the brightest spot, as you look toward the far wall you will see that things look darker.  ;D

Before any one asks I have spent a good portion of my life living in coastal areas and have seen places similar to the one in Luc's image.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Harvey Birdman

You know, I think I'm with Fenring on this. I am not the least impressed with renders someone else has created with a version I don't have access to.

Is this supposed to placate me? If so, it's a poorly considered move. Waving this crap under my nose when the product I've paid money for is months overdue does NOT engender warm fuzzies. It has quite the opposite effect.

If Planetside wants to show off the new version, release the bastard so I can actually use it. This 'oh, look what Luc did with it!' approach is pure bullshit.

>:(   >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(    >:(

joshbakr

Quote from: nvseal on April 12, 2008, 09:51:51 PM
Check out Luc Bianco's awesome new picture. http://lucbianco.free.fr/2bgal/img/T2_2008/TGD841.jpg  :o
Why are you posting this and not Luc? And why post it here in this thread?  Are you on Planetside's payroll?  WTF? 

PG

Would you guys be up for the "At your own risk" release then?

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2008, 09:37:51 AM
Would you guys be up for the "At your own risk" release then?

Enter the syncophant...

What, like every other release? How long have you been around this circus, anyway?

PG

yeah, right anyway. I'm only trying to come up with some solution to your greivances. All I'm saying is that you seem to want some kind of update, clearly the dev team don't feel that it's in a position to release anything as a "stable" build so maybe you'd like to be given an "unstable" one.

Harvey Birdman

Quit behaving like Planetside is a group of poor, hapless misunderstood little boys that need your guidance, protection and support.

They don't need your 'help finding solutions'. They knew precisely what they were doing when they chose their business model. They've been collecting money and issuing bullshit promises and ETA's for years.

Your syncophantic fawning looks pretty ignorant to those of us that have seen this act play out over and over again for years.

The fact is that they have made promises they failed to keep, and now they hide behind the likes of you.

nikita

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2008, 06:38:53 AM
Hmm, there does appear to be a bit of an issue with the reflectivity of the water when transparency is enabled, might just be me though.
I think you are right with the shadow issue, specular reflections appear, even if they shouldn't. The graininess is caused by the lack of AA TG2 applies to specular reflections.
The scattering-problem you noticed is not unnormal. (Why shouldn't water that's further away also reflect the sun too? It's lot less likely of course)

I think it would have been wise by Planetside to actually announce the new imagery.
Also full ack to Harvey! Please don't let us wait another year.

@PG The mistake has already been made. (ultimately by announcing an optimistic release date) It's too late to find a solution. That is why contradictory requests can't be avoided anymore.

PG

I'm not here to argue Harvey, I like Terragen and I want it to be a success, you're clearly not happy with how the release progression has been handle and I gave an idea of how it could be resolved. Let's face it, if planetside hasn't released it yet that's because it's not ready. The only way you'd get any update in the near future is to have an unstable build.

Quote from: nikita on April 13, 2008, 09:51:17 AM
The scattering-problem you noticed is not unnormal. (Why shouldn't water that's further away also reflect the sun too? It's lot less likely of course)

Yeah true, but they just seem to be quite solitary specks.

nikita

A question just came to my mind.
Right now I pay $200 and I only get access to beta versions. How much extra did the alpha testers have to pay to get access to alpha versions?

Not trying to start a revolution here but if it works the way I think it works (alpha testers don't pay anything or at least not more than we do) then I wonder how that makes any sense?
If I as a pre-purchaser paid the same or even a higher price than the alpha testers did... then why do they get the latest version while I don't?

PG

They get the latest version because they work for Planetside, they're called alpha testers because it's their job to stress test the program to root out bugs, crashes, etc. so that they can be fixed by the development team.

Cyber-Angel

I followed the "Circus" for a good while on the Yahoo Group with every one getting told in so many words to shut the hell up and don't even bother talking about when the Tech Preview was coming out (December of that year as happens) so I won't go over what happens when deadlines get made then passed, those that know the drill know what I mean.

I have to say that it would be nice for us fully paid up users to receive a little more information via the back channel so that we know what is going on, one of the rules about business is don't alienate your customers by limiting the information flow its not good for business nor the image or reputation of the company.

I am not a Fan-Boy of this company and you (who ever you maybe) are free to search my user name on this site and you will see that; I ask questions that need answers weather or not they are my business to ask if they are not like many here I'm pretty much tiered of been tiered.

Again, as previously stated and this really is the last time if there is a major set of problems with say Multi-Threading or similar that cause big time problems   but saying some thing is only going to take a few weeks and then three months latter no word that's where the bad feeling starts, it gets to the point where what is fun  no longer is after a point, I know that Planetside is a business and all but it must coarse all kinds of problems if you have to do all the day to day business stuff and program (With help) some thing of magnitude of TG2?

In the end then, what is the nub of the issue here? The Answer is Software by its self is a lifeless thing and to honest isn't life to short to be getting upset over some thing that's inert, there must be some kind of emotional bond that is formed with the object to be missed when the stimulus is absent, some form of ownership implied stated or not that provokes heated argument when debated, this dose not to the intellectual mind seem either rational or logical.

There are two groups of argument: the first group of argument is what we shall call the Non-Rational Type, within this group lies the kind of self destructive argument that divides families for generations and discord among nations leading to negative outcomes such as war, argument of the Non-Rational Type impends progress upon which knowledge is based and which allows man kind to advance, with this group there is the small be still real risk of social stagnation and social regression.   

The second group of argument is what we shall call the Rational Type: arguments belonging to this group offer the grounds upon civilized debate is founded, with debate comes the shearing of idea's and allow both individual and the social group as cohesive whole to move forward.

I continue to wait for what lies ahead and will channel a calm place and move on.  ;D

Peace to all here.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

joshbakr

Quote from: nikita on April 13, 2008, 11:17:15 AM
A question just came to my mind.
Right now I pay $200 and I only get access to beta versions. How much extra did the alpha testers have to pay to get access to alpha versions?

Not trying to start a revolution here but if it works the way I think it works (alpha testers don't pay anything or at least not more than we do) then I wonder how that makes any sense?
If I as a pre-purchaser paid the same or even a higher price than the alpha testers did... then why do they get the latest version while I don't?

Good Question! My guess is they didn't pay anything. Why would they have to pay for helping planetside with their testing?