Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

YAAAY!!

;D   :D

But wait....  ???   :-\     :P    >:(

All right, where's Sonshine777.

>:(

;)   ;D

moodflow

I don't understand why they don't do incremental updates?  It just doesn't make sense.  I say they should call TG2 "finished" and then do incremental updates.  Most other software does this.  No software is perfect.  There will be crashes and there will be bugs.  There has to be something else going on "business wise" behind the scenes.

The frustrating thing is, most of the bugs plaguing us now are already resolved, yet we have to wait and suffer because they want things to be just right for this 'huge' release. 

TG2 is phenomenal, but I've paid my money with the expectation I'd have transparency, multicore support, and possibly SSS within a few months.  Its been well over a year and its barely changed.

C'mon Planetside, release the current version to the paying customers "as is", despite the bugs.  We'll manage.  And we know they will be resolved over time...and in the mean time we still get to use the newer features.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

cyphyr

Just a completely wild stab in the dark but I suspect that the problems arise from the multi core implementation of the displacement/render engine. With such finely tuned calculations being run of different cores there is the opportunity for discrepancies to arise in the floating point calculations. I can see how this could be very difficult to overcome in a reliable and repeatable way. just my penny worth but hell welease woderwick I mean terragen
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

nvseal

Quote from: joshbakr on April 13, 2008, 09:36:56 AM
Quote from: nvseal on April 12, 2008, 09:51:51 PM
Check out Luc Bianco's awesome new picture. http://lucbianco.free.fr/2bgal/img/T2_2008/TGD841.jpg  :o
Why are you posting this and not Luc? And why post it here in this thread?  Are you on Planetside's payroll?  WTF? 

Wow, wow, calm down. First of all, I didn't post the image, I just posted a link to the image that Luc already uploaded on his site (and if he, for some reason, does not want me to do that then I will gladly take the comment down). I posted the link to the image because 1) images of transparency have been posted here before and 2) people were talking about updates so I thought they may be interested in seeing it. No need to get excited, it's not like I'm trying to take credit for it. :)

PG

reck

Quote from: nvseal on April 13, 2008, 03:58:45 PM
Check out Luc Bianco's awesome new picture. http://lucbianco.free.fr/2bgal/img/T2_2008/TGD841.jpg  :o
Why are you posting this and not Luc? And why post it here in this thread?  Are you on Planetside's payroll?  WTF? 

Wow, wow, calm down. First of all, I didn't post the image, I just posted a link to the image that Luc already uploaded on his site (and if he, for some reason, does not want me to do that then I will gladly take the comment down). I posted the link to the image because 1) images of transparency have been posted here before and 2) people were talking about updates so I thought they may be interested in seeing it. No need to get excited, it's not like I'm trying to take credit for it. :)

nvseal, thanks for posting that link, i'd never have known about that image if you hadn't. It helps pass the time seeing these water transparency images while we wait for the next release.

Let us know if you find any more :)

joshbakr

Quote from: reck on April 13, 2008, 04:16:35 PM
Quote from: nvseal on April 13, 2008, 03:58:45 PM

nvseal, thanks for posting that link, i'd never have known about that image if you hadn't. It helps pass the time seeing these water transparency images while we wait for the next release.

Let us know if you find any more :)

I think I'm going to Puke!

PG

joshbakr

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2008, 04:46:02 PM
haha, but then Luc is really good.

Yes I agree he is very good. As he should be seeing that he has been working with TG2 since 2004. But ask him to share a technique or how he did something.

And posting these pics done with a version we don't yet have is Like Harvey said:
Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 13, 2008, 09:21:21 AM
You know, I think I'm with Fenring on this. I am not the least impressed with renders someone else has created with a version I don't have access to.

Is this supposed to placate me? If so, it's a poorly considered move. Waving this crap under my nose when the product I've paid money for is months overdue does NOT engender warm fuzzies. It has quite the opposite effect.

If Planetside wants to show off the new version, release the bastard so I can actually use it. This 'oh, look what Luc did with it!' approach is pure bullshit.

>:(   >:(     >:(     >:(     >:(    >:(

BullShit! Hence, why it makes me feel like puking.

Moose

If I were Planetside I'd give you all your money back and show you the door - bunch of miserable bastards the lot of you...

joshbakr

Quote from: Moose on April 13, 2008, 05:16:51 PM
If I were Planetside I'd give you all your money back and show you the door - bunch of miserable bastards the lot of you...

LOL   :D ;D

PG

Careful moose. ;D

@ josh: yeah I really wish Luc'd be a bit more generous, but that's artistic pride for you.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.