Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

Quote from: ro-nin on April 28, 2008, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: nikita on April 28, 2008, 05:16:33 PM
Quote from: adit on April 28, 2008, 05:11:15 PM
I've installed it, but it seems that it's still only using a single core. I've got a core 2 quad processor (will check exactly which model if you guys want it).
You have to change the core number in the More settings tab in the setting of the render node.

I can't find it... :(
I only see:
*detail blending;
*displacement filter;
*do reverse primary rays;
*minimum threads - 1;
*maximum threads - 16.
Where is that Core number option?!?!
Set minimum threads to you core number. :)

rmfrase

Just installed it - so Sweet!

Also, Ran the Benchmark for T2.

Under two Minutes!  (1:53.)   
Previous was (3:42)

Simply Awesome.

nikita

One question regarding bugs... if we, say, try to copy nodes, delete list elements or do other things that cause crashes.
Do you want us to report bugs?

rmfrase

I'm Simply Amazed at the sheer Raw Speed of having an 8-Core Xeon system and this new Release.

Yesterday at 3:15PM, I started on a render.  Today, I turned it off after 26hrs so that I can install the new Build Release.

Now, In just (22 Minutes) it had already surpassed where the system was for the previous days (26hrs) of work.

What else can one say?

-Robert

Mr_Lamppost

AaaaaaggggHHHHHH!!!

I am right in the middle of something that is needs done yesterday so don't dare download and try it.    >:( :(

AaarrrggHH!!!! Hate  >:( ::)  Kill   ??? >:( >:( ::) >:(  Destroy   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(       EXTERMINATE!!!!   ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Matt

Quote from: nikita on April 28, 2008, 05:31:33 PM
General question: What about pre-purchasers who chose to not subscribe to the announcement e-mails?

They can send an email to support@planetside.co.uk explaining the situation and we will sort it out. For email addresses already associated with a TG2 purchase it's straightforward for us to subscribe it to the list, otherwise please let us know what your old email address was or provide some other proof of purchase (confirmation email or a copy of the key file).

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: nikita on April 28, 2008, 07:54:22 PM
One question regarding bugs... if we, say, try to copy nodes, delete list elements or do other things that cause crashes.
Do you want us to report bugs?

Yes, please report bugs you find in this alpha build. Please start a new topic in the Terragen 2 Support section, as you would with any other version, clearly stating which build you are using (in this case 1.9.88.1)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mr_Lamppost

Bug*** it. I punted all the must do stuff to my laptop and am downloading now.  Who gives a monkeys if I have work tomorrow.  ;D ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

gregsandor

I haven't received the email (likely due to email filters not planetside); please send it to me now.  I'll give you alternate email address via PM.

Costaud

Render time for image with water is worst than before but I have a single core computer (a Athlon 3500)   :(

gregsandor

Quote from: Costaud on April 28, 2008, 09:01:10 PM
Render time for image with water is worst than before but I have a single core computer (a Athlon 3500)   :(

Maybe because it wasn't calculating transparency before.

Oshyan

Settings for adjusting the min/max render cores are in the individual Render Nodes, under the More Settings tab.

Costaud, although render times may have slightly increased for reflective surfaces (water being one example), this should also come with an increase in stability and accuracy. Also note that I believe transparency is on by default so this may be contributing to an increased render time for water as compared to previous versions.

- Oshyan

ZStar

I figured I would start here before going to Support. 

I installed the new version but I am not seeing any performance gains.  In fact, it seems to run significantly slower than the 1.9.04.1 build.  I have a dual core Intel with 2GB.  TG is detecting two cores but even if I set the minimum thread count to 2, I see no improvement.  The files I have been testing do not have water so transparency rendering should not be an issue.

Originally, I installed the new version in a new folder but when I saw no improvement in render time I figured there must be some conflict with the prior version that was still on the system.  I removed both versions, reinstalled 1.9.04.1 and then reinstalled 1.9.88.1 on top and no change.  I have tried several different project files with similar results.

I assume I have made some simple mistake but I have no idea what. 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Any ideas?

Oshyan

I'm not sure what your issue might be without knowing a bit more information, but first we should make sure you are running on a clean install. You indicate that you essentially installed the new version over the old version in both cases (even after you removed both you reinstalled 1.9.0.41). The correct procedure is to simply uninstall the previous version then install the new one. This will make sure that only the files from the new version are present, and your keyfile should be recognized automatically.

In regards to your performance problems, if you can use a common benchmarking scene to get more measurable indications of the actual results before/after, that would be very helpful. This scene would be good to test: http://tg2bench.kk3d.de/

- Oshyan