Terragen 2 Release Announcement Discussion

Started by Oshyan, December 12, 2007, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

I believe that the program is in a feature freeze until final release, so Planetside will be working exclusively on fixes and optimizations.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

The latest version internally includes basically all of the significant features, however the Technology Preview 3 version registered users are working with is missing some features, most notably the Undo system which will be included in the final.

- Oshyan

Seth

Freak

Quote from: Oshyan on May 16, 2008, 01:29:04 AM
Geocontrol 2 and TG2 aren't really comparable products. Geocontrol is a dedicated terrain modeler for *heightfields only* and includes a rather rudimentary renderer. TG2 has only limited heightfield capability but *extremely powerful* procedural terrain modeling capabilities, as well as one of the best terrain-specific rendering engines around. GC2 and TG2 are really complementary products.

As for whether there will be another public tech preview, the only public (free) release we are certain of at this point will be the free version of the final release following the beta for registered users.

- Oshyan

Thanks, I am aware of the various advantages of both packages, I already own TG0.9 and GeoControl 1.0, as well as WorldMachine1..
I still use TG0.9 for some compositing elements and basics but GeoControl has taken over all my heightfields creation, i rarely render in TG,
as no multithreading means it's just not feasible to do so anymore, the addition of vector sculpting applications means i rarely use TG0.9x these days.

Quote from: nikita on May 16, 2008, 07:32:33 AM
If you're underwhelmed, take a look at the gallery http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/

I render in mainly LW/Modo or 3Delight, so the TG renderer isn't really going to offer me anything in that regard,
And from the original tech preview, I was much more convinced from original Terragen's, features and implementation. (but it was early)
As i said i haven't seen what has improved since the original tech preview, so i guess i will see when the final public test version is, whenever that may be.

Thanks for the replies.

lightning

LOL! we have reaches to 50th page in this thread! ;D
an undo feature would be cool save me having to save every 10 seconds ::)
also as i have said before a wireframe instead of boxs would also be a good feature maybe it could be an on and of option so you could switch between shaded wireframe and boundary box

also i think it would be good idea if there were save render preset option like you have in vue just so you dont need to keep typing in the same info over and over again shouldnt be to hard to do i don't think?
also planetside could do a set of say 5 preset render quality options ranging from LQ to HQ and maybe even SHQ (super high quality!) along with resolution presets

Tangled-Universe

I think these are nice ideas but I also think it isn't really as useful as you think because each scene needs quite specific quality settings. I've never rendered an image using the same rendersettings, in fact they differ quite much.

Martin

Seth

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 26, 2008, 03:26:56 AM
I think these are nice ideas but I also think it isn't really as useful as you think because each scene needs quite specific quality settings. I've never rendered an image using the same rendersettings, in fact they differ quite much.

Martin

totally agree with you :D

lightning

Martin
there isnt just you and seth though i alway use one setting inpaticular for my final test render just before the big one and it would be nice if i could just select a button and it would have my saved render settings just like in maxwell and vray

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: lightning on May 26, 2008, 04:39:28 PM

Martin
there isnt just you and seth though i alway use one setting inpaticular for my final test render just before the big one and it would be nice if i could just select a button and it would have my saved render settings just like in maxwell and vray

Of course it isn't just seth and me. My argument was also a suggestion at the same time that rendering at the same settings each time won't give the desired result every time and is perhaps also not appropriate for each scene. Perhaps adding a render-preset function is useful then so you can set them up/personalize yourself.

RArcher

You can also make as many different render nodes as you want and save it as a clip file, then import that into each of your projects.  Pretty much the same as having a preset.  Or just modify the defaults that load when you start TG2 to include your own specific render settings.

Or what I am trying to say is TG already has support for preset render options.

rcallicotte

I use the clip files as presets frequently and have three defaults that I have for presets.  You can create default presets...like RArcher mentioned - Edit / Preferences / Startup
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

Oo
does that mean that if I don't agree i must keep my mouth shut ?
take a pill dude, relax...

lightning

Quote from: seth93 on May 26, 2008, 06:01:20 PM

Oo
does that mean that if I don't agree i must keep my mouth shut ?
take a pill dude, relax...
WTF man >:( i didnt mean it like that. you can say whateva you damn want

anyway im realy starting to get pissed off about the development towards the final of Terragen 2 its nearly the 6th month of this year and by looking at the latest alpha there is still a hell of a long way to go i cant actually render a picture with the new alpha because it always cuts big boxs out of it.
i mean i worked damn hard to buy this software im only 16 years old and only on 12 bux an hour on a dairy farm thats newzealand bux by the way and it aint the easiest job in the world.
and i think its disgraceful that it doesn't even render anything properly >:(

anyway i circled all the parts where this excuses for a renderer missed out anyone else who can see any more chunks that have been ripped out gets a free plant...............

dandelO

Jack, I'd just re-install the older build if I were you!
To f*ck with using the recent build to render anything(as the PS team have stated themselves, without swearing), at least the last build worked.

I was actually seriously considering pre-purchasing this program up until a couple of weeks back(I still may but not for this 'broken' piece of wank, alpha) but, looking around in here, I can feel the frustration of everyone who has, and has updated(downdated?) to the new version. You're right, it IS nearly halfway through the year, wasn't this program scheduled for final release around 1 and 1/2 year ago? Then, six months ago, then the end of the year, then the first 1/4 of THIS year, then... ??? WHEN?
It doesn't bother me that it isn't built yet, I'm a free user after all, it just bothers me that we've been told SO many times that it will be finished by (insert some invented date here) and it never is.

I have sung PS's praises since I begun with TG2, but now, I lose faith rapidly. Do I want to pay this money for a piece of broken(optional, I understand) or unfinished software, no!
Well, I'll dick around with my unregistered version, it's still my favourite landscape program, but, Jeeesus hurry up, I want to buy this!

Fix it, I'm not paying until it's done, I won't be one of these poor users in here who seem to have been taken advantage of for their money!

And, jack, make your own default .tgd's for startup, that way your render settings can be whatever you want them to be, everytime.

lightning

Quote from: dandelO on May 27, 2008, 03:50:22 AM
Jack, I'd just re-install the older build if I were you!
To f*ck with using the recent build to render anything(as the PS team have stated themselves, without swearing), at least the last build worked.

I was actually seriously considering pre-purchasing this program up until a couple of weeks back(I still may but not for this 'broken' piece of wank, alpha) but, looking around in here, I can feel the frustration of everyone who has, and has updated(downdated?) to the new version. You're right, it IS nearly halfway through the year, wasn't this program scheduled for final release around 1 and 1/2 year ago? Then, six months ago, then the end of the year, then the first 1/4 of THIS year, then... ??? WHEN?
It doesn't bother me that it isn't built yet, I'm a free user after all, it just bothers me that we've been
told SO many times that it will be finished by (insert some invented date here) and it never is.

I have sung PS's praises since I begun with TG2, but now, I lose faith rapidly. Do I want to pay this money for a piece of broken(optional, I understand) or unfinished software, no!
Well, I'll dick around with my unregistered version, it's still my favourite landscape program, but, Jeeesus hurry up, I want to buy this!

Fix it, I'm not paying until it's done, I won't be one of these poor users in here who seem to have been taken advantage of for their money!

And, jack, make your own default .tgd's for startup, that way your render settings can be whatever you want them to be, everytime.
thats exactly what i did! that piece of shit was of my computer as quick as a Nigerian bride spam advert! but not quick enough because it stuffed all my registry so i couldn't install the older version had to totally whipe my hard drive and start from scratch  boy was i pissed that day :(

i was a loyal supporter of planetside too i kissed there asses and look what i got in return a piece of shit software that doesnt work and a large bruise on my foot from kicking my computer that hard
if i were you i wouldn't even bother wasting your money on deep at the moment >:(
i mean any scene created in the new alpha isnt even compatible with the old build all that shows up is just a white sceen and about 200 error messages >:(
the old build aint to flash either everytime i click to much when im texturing my trees all my computers buttons EVERYTHING stops functioning so in the end im clicking a button or pressing ctrl alt delete and nothing happens i have to restart my pc all over again its not like my system is an Altair 8800! it a high speed gaming rig!!!.
i cant think of another program that phucks around with your pc more than terragen 2 the only thing i can compare it to is probably a worm

i think planetside have got a f*cking cheek releasing the latest build in that sort of state i know matt or whateva his name is said it would be unstable but i didn't expect it to be unusable!!!

if things dont improve soon i think i will give my middle finger up to planetside and head back over to eon along with plants >:(
because frankly i am sick to the back teeth of planetside >:(