Aurora Boriellis

Started by Balletdude, September 12, 2021, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balletdude

This is my attempt at the latest @terratuts tutorial on Youtube. For the extra colour I just created a second cloud layer higher up and in a different colour. For the multiple streaks, I combined 3 simple shape shaders together with an add colour node. The landscape was from an old render I made that I wasn't 100% happy with.
Hope you like it

If you notice weird names for my files I upload, it's because i have an obsession with films, and do random names. This one is named after a song called Aurora from and old Abbot and Costello vive. Bonus points if you name the singers and the film

Dune

Nice, arty composition. I like it. A few tiny remarks; I miss (at least some) stars, and the left aurora starts in line with the mountain slope, which I would change.

Balletdude

Thank you

Yeah didn't notice the one in line with the mountain. There are stairs there, but I think the compression to Jpeg has made them really hard to see. May try and increase their brightness

mhaze

Rezzin8

That's a wonderful effect! Nice!

Stormlord

Aurora Borealis by STORMLORD.jpg
Aurora Borealis

I tried it also, just with some stars.
Nice Tutorial!

STORMLORD

WAS

You can use the ambient colour map to add colour at diff altitudes. Start with the top colour, and then add another surface layer with a maximum altitude cut off somewhere you like, which will reveal the first surface layers colour above it.

Stormlord

I tried another approach with a masked photo in the foreground (Yes, it should made with TG, it's just a try to get an overall impression)...

Aurora Borealis Triplet by STOMLORD.jpg
Aurora Borealis Triplet

STORMLORD

Balletdude

Nice work

Quote from: Stormlord on September 14, 2021, 01:50:37 PMI tried another approach with a masked photo in the foreground (Yes, it should made with TG, it's just a try to get an overall impression)...

Aurora Borealis Triplet

STORMLORD

Hey if it works, it works!!! I put stars in mine, but I didn't make them bright enough so They aren't really visible on the jpeg. Also I wasn't sure how well stars would be seen around the phenomenon eg can they be seen through it etc. Think that will be a bit of research, for me this week

WAS

Quote from: Balletdude on September 14, 2021, 04:10:02 PMNice work

Quote from: Stormlord on September 14, 2021, 01:50:37 PMI tried another approach with a masked photo in the foreground (Yes, it should made with TG, it's just a try to get an overall impression)...

Aurora Borealis Triplet

STORMLORD

Hey if it works, it works!!! I put stars in mine, but I didn't make them bright enough so They aren't really visible on the jpeg. Also I wasn't sure how well stars would be seen around the phenomenon eg can they be seen through it etc. Think that will be a bit of research, for me this week

Yes they can, as to the naked eye many auroras are pretty dim. Its the overexposure that make them really pop.

Refs added.