The dark knight

Started by Hannes, September 13, 2021, 07:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Hi guys,
finally after a long, long break with a massive lack of inspiration and some health issues I eventually put my fingers back on TG. Actually I wasn't visiting the forum very often, so I'm not really aware of the things that happened in the meantime. So, I think, I'll have to catch up a bit. I don't know so far, if I'll be as busy as I was before, but it felt good to do some new stuff.
Here is an image I started by testing a free knight character, which I edited a lot. He had no face, only some sort of a mask, which I replaced by a real head. I grew a beard in 3ds Max and made him wear some chainmail. I added a shield and put the guy into some scenery. As far as I remember all models except the plants and the head are free ones from Sketchfab.
First the scene took place at daytime, but I thought nighttime might look more interesting.
The embers are a mesh made out of particles: some tiny cylinders. The DOF blurs some of them, which looks a bit like motion blur, which is a nice side effect.

DocCharly65

Hey Hannes, very glad to see you back here.
Honestly I must say I had feared the worst, because we all don't get younger. Hope you're fine again.

And the knight i a master piece again. Great mood, great textures, great scene... and a really nice side effect, these embers. In my eyes the may even glow a bit more but anyway they re cool!

mhaze

Rezzin8

This is really nice, love the look of the materials on the knight!

crisb

Great image ! I like that you said you 'made him wear chainmail'. Those CG characters with their opinions ! :)

Also, very good to see you back, and not a bad way to start with the 'Dark Knight'.

all the best,

Cris.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys! This is very encouraging! :)

WAS

This is really great. I almost would really love to see this animated. The fire light twinkling, him breathing and a bit of idle movement. Even if it was just a lighting loop. This has a lot of atmosphere and I can almost smell the petrichor on the stone and the sweetness of the decomposing woodland, and the rustle of the leaves in the trees.

Dune

Glad to see you back, Hannes. I also feared a permanent leave, not necessarily health related, but other software perhaps. So, good to see your mastery again, and I hope your health will remain or get better.
Terrific piece of work again. I agree with all others. It's like s still from a movie.

One tiny nitpick, or addition; the wood on his shield could have some butches and more wear, like he's really used it to head off sword blows. Unless it's just brandnew been issued too him  ;)