Voronoi Distance Methods in Terragen

Started by WAS, September 20, 2021, 01:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I was looking over Blender documentation and noticed that the "distance" types we refer to are just different exponent values in the formula. For example manhattan in Blender is 0.5.

Isn't it possible to just expose this value in the functions or PF to allow us to make manhattan square voronoi, or even more squared?

Dune

Would be cool, but I doubt if it's that simple to make a rectangle from an initally irregular 6-8 (?) sided polygonshape. But perhaps it is and I would love such an addition.

gao_jian11

It seems that tg hasn't been upgraded in basic functions such as terrain generation for a long time, but in fact, I don't expect functions such as GPU rendering. I hope that tg will have more improvements in terrain production capabilities.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on September 20, 2021, 02:10:09 AMWould be cool, but I doubt if it's that simple to make a rectangle from an initally irregular 6-8 (?) sided polygonshape. But perhaps it is and I would love such an addition.

I believe Matt said before that the voronoi used if Minkowski. So it should be the Minkowski formula producing that shapes, and yes, the exponent value of the formula does have that dramatic of an effect. Check out the value examples shown here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.80/render/shader_nodes/textures/voronoi.html

The voronoi we used in TG seems to be an exponent of about 2.0.

This functionality would be absolutely amazing and add so much more depth to our rock structures, and more.

Dune

Mmmm, apparantly so. So if the exponent could be stretched to 10 in TG, you'd have squares.

pokoy

Here's a nice overview of noise types with examples from Neil Blevins, a veteran in the 3ds max community:

http://www.neilblevins.com/art_lessons/procedural_noise/procedural_noise.html

Look out for anything with Worley in the name, these are all different types of Worley Voronoi noises, where changing a few parameters and noise types give really nice results, all procedural 3D.

It would be really good to see TG's voronoi extended to support more modes and parameters. I don't really understand why it's so limited.

WAS

Quote from: pokoy on September 21, 2021, 05:08:27 AMHere's a nice overview of noise types with examples from Neil Blevins, a veteran in the 3ds max community:

http://www.neilblevins.com/art_lessons/procedural_noise/procedural_noise.html

Look out for anything with Worley in the name, these are all different types of Worley Voronoi noises, where changing a few parameters and noise types give really nice results, all procedural 3D.

It would be really good to see TG's voronoi extended to support more modes and parameters. I don't really understand why it's so limited.

Minkowski is actually a generalization, which can achieve all other types, such as worly, which is what Manhattan and what we use in TG is based on. In blender they have Worly's as presets (F1, F2, etc), or you can just select Minkowski and dial in the settings manually.

It would be awesome to have the exponent exposed, and maybe even weight metrics though I am not positive we would need them with all the function nodes we have. Just the exponent is crucial.

Made this in Blender real quick, just extruded a cube, subdivided, displaced with voronoi manhattan, subdivided (to smooth angles), decimated, and added a texture.