Friday node play and displacement

Started by Balletdude, September 24, 2021, 08:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balletdude

Been playing around with the blue nodes in terragen and created this. Yes it's pointless at the minute, but maybe someone can come up with a use for it.
If anything it's taught me a bit about how the nodes work

If you do find a use let me know

WAS

Balletdude

Added a couple of different shapes and notes on changing parameters (also made it a touch more tidy)

WAS

Awesome. Keep it up, also take a look at the smooth step scalars, and the soft maximum/minimum functions. Here is an example out of your star split function

Soft Maximum Scalar is really a "Minimum" clamp or low range of the scalar, where Soft Minimum Scalar is the "Maximum" clamp or high range of the scalar. I'm not sure why they are named the way they are.

Dune

Balletdude

Yeah I've not looked at the step functions yet. Will check them out

Balletdude

Newest one may be my favourite a heart shape This is the same as all the rest cutting downwards into the terrain. Just a top down view to get a better look at the shape
changing the displacement on the default shader to a negative value will cause it to rise up from the terrain.
If using altitude constraints to colour the top of any of these displacements (when standing proud of the terrain, beside to set it to final position, or yo may get some od results

bobbystahr

Quote from: WAS on September 25, 2021, 05:00:56 PMAwesome. Keep it up, also take a look at the smooth step scalars, and the soft maximum/minimum functions. Here is an example out of your star split function

Soft Maximum Scalar is really a "Minimum" clamp or low range of the scalar, where Soft Minimum Scalar is the "Maximum" clamp or high range of the scalar. I'm not sure why they are named the way they are.

Nicely twisted my friend...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist