World Creator / Gaea Bridges

Started by WAS, October 08, 2021, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Wouldn't be cool if you could just hit a button in WC / Gaea, get a quick setup box, and click export, and boom, your terrain is in Terragen for preview rendering or working on a scene?

This would be a really cool addition to help terrain workflow.

Dunno how those deals would look, but putting it out there as something that would be awesome.

Dune

That idea should also be put on the WC/Gaea forums, I'd say. But I doubt if they'd be interested. There are quite a few other apps around to export to.

Plus... we have a great erosion tool in TG itself. Daniil did a great job, and you can do wonders with it. I haven't seen much imported terrains that cannot be done in TG itself.

Hannes

I'm playing around with Gaea at the moment, and I have to say, that I'm really impressed. Daniil's plugin is absolutely fantastic, no doubt, but I'd say, that the possibilities in Gaea are way more than just erosion.
There are so many other terrain structures, you can create quite easily, that would be quite hard to reproduce in TG alone.

Digitalguru explained a working method for exporting Gaea terrains into TG here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27731.msg275659.html#msg275659
I tried it, and it works like a charm. All the details are there, if you choose a high resolution. I exported 8k maps, and it looks beautiful. And it's easy to choose all the maps you want, and export everything at once.

Nevertheless it would be cool, if there would be some sort of a bridge to connect between Gaea (or other apps) and TG.

Dune

Perhaps I haven't seen enough of Gaea yet ;)

WAS

Yeah, and I have talked with Daniil too and he has even said there is a lot that could still be done with the plugin here, and missing some erosion features (what I don't know). I hope one day he adds XYZ erosion so we can do a whole planet easily without a crazy setup of masking a sphere. He sounded interested but did not have free time.

But yeah in Gaea you can do a lot more I'd say. Gaea may be interested in a bridge. Dax was really interested in Terragen for awhile.

Hannes

When I opened Gaea today, I read that Daniil was involved in the development of Gaea. I didn't know that.

Nala1977

the whole erosion code in Gaea is written by Daniil's btw. He also appears in the name credits of the software itself, infact its quite the same as it is in terragen, maybe even more advanced

Dune

Quote from: Nala1977 on October 09, 2021, 05:39:20 PMthe whole erosion code in Gaea is written by Daniil
That interesting to hear.

Hannes

Quote from: Nala1977 on October 09, 2021, 05:39:20 PMHe also appears in the name credits of the software itself
That's where I found his name.

digitalguru

Quote from: Hannes on October 09, 2021, 05:14:59 AMDigitalguru explained a working method for exporting Gaea terrains into TG here:
I'd forgotten about that post. It's a bit out of date with new Gaea updates - 32bit .exr works now. Posted an update under the original thread: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=289747

Wouldn't have thought a bridge is really necessary, it's easy to setup in TG, and you only have to hit reload if the .exr is updated from Gaea.