Water tribe city

Started by Abyssinian02, October 23, 2021, 06:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abyssinian02

Hey everyone,

I'm working on recreating this Water Tribe city image in Terragen.

I've made a simple heightmap for it:

And then added in all the models, but now it seems that in Terragen itself, the terrain fully renders, but when I actually render it, the terrain is incomplete and I don't see why.

Is there anyone who can tell me what I've done wrong? I added the file without all the models as an attachment.

WAS

You may need to turn up Displacement Tolerance inside the planet itself.

Dune

Nice city! You can also build up the rock wall by using (smooth edged) cubes. Just place a few (4 will probably do) around the perimeter of the city so they overlap, sort of (with the gap centrally). You could use a vector displace over Y with a softish circular simple shape inputting the vector displacement shader to lower the central part, so you end up with a circular wall. Add a compute terrain after that, follwed by a surface shader with smaller displacements and colors as its child input. Attach that to all blocks, and there you have it.

WAS

I don't think that is the look he is going for. He wants to see the terrain cascade off down the canyon, which is not visible because of geometry tearing. It's a little hard to see in the reference. To get that look with cubes, they would have to be facing the wrong direction for the inner cradle.

Dune

What I understand from his terrain mask, it should look like this, but we'll see what the reply is. It's a method anyway.

WAS

The map shows a clear V cut, which is visible in the original cinematic reference, and is slightly visible in his example, just torn.

Dune

Well, the point is that you make a lot of stuff using cubes. If he needs the gap to be closed further down the rock, that can be done just as easily.

Abyssinian02

WAS, thanks for that, that fixed the terrain not rendering.

Dune, thank you very much for that suggestion. It looks awesome and I'd love to learn exactly how to do that. I could definitely use that technique for a render of HTTYD's Berk I'm planning as well as possible future projects. I'm mainly a modeller/3d artist who loves to render in Terragen, but my knowledge of Terragen is very limited so far. So each bit helps.

Thanks for you help guys!

Dune

You're welcome. Do come back here once in a while and show what you do.... or with any questions.