Linux VDB export BUG problem?
"Killed" appears at 70%-90% of command line export
---------------------------------------------
Linux command line:
VolumeWriterVDB: 73%
VolumeWriterVDB: 73%     
Killed
--------------------------------------------
May I ask why this is? How to deal with it?

Matt

I wonder if it was using too much RAM. The RAM usage will climb while it's processing, as it adds to the VDB data structure. Do you know if it was using a large amount of RAM before it crashed?

If the RAM usage is OK but it still crashes, try limiting the number of threads (with the -threads option), and see if that makes a difference.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Some linux software can kill processes. Gnome desktops often have programs to automatically kill frozen processes, or what appear frozen. I just bad to disable some kill-processs program on a friends server because it turns off their Minecraft server when it uses 100% of all the CPU. This likely to force whatever is eating up resources to reboot or kill it for manual diagnoses. If you have something like that running in processes I'd end that process.

noahding

Quote from: Matt on November 30, 2021, 09:40:15 AMI wonder if it was using too much RAM. The RAM usage will climb while it's processing, as it adds to the VDB data structure. Do you know if it was using a large amount of RAM before it crashed?

If the RAM usage is OK but it still crashes, try limiting the number of threads (with the -threads option), and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, thank you, may I ask if I set the voxel too high (say 8 billion voxels), will the exported VDB crash because of this?
Does exporting VDB consume more memory or CPU?

WAS

I don't pay attention to how many voxels it states are approximately present, but the resolution multiplier (probably should).

In my experience exporting for film and for a friends Vue project, the resolution wasn't really usable until it was above 1024.