Stratified Rock Colors

Started by RichTwo, January 26, 2022, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I'm back, maybe for a while... All is good for me as can be expected for these times... For some reason, for the last year or so I simply had lost the inspiration to do anything with Terragen.  So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it another shot. 

Here I have attempted to recreate stratified rock colors by stretching the X - Z noise of Power Fractals by 50.  What I like: the finer details in the color variations, especially 
on the higher distant mountains.  What I don't like: they are too straight.  I need only a little "up-and-down" effect.  I've tried a fractal warp and redirect to no avail (or else I'm just doing it wrong).

If anyone has a workable solution, I'm wide open.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: RichTwo on January 26, 2022, 12:18:29 PMI'm back, maybe for a while... All is good for me as can be expected for these times... For some reason, for the last year or so I simply had lost the inspiration to do anything with Terragen.  So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it another shot.

Here I have attempted to recreate stratified rock colors by stretching the X - Z noise of Power Fractals by 50.  What I like: the finer details in the color variations, especially
on the higher distant mountains.  What I don't like: they are too straight.  I need only a little "up-and-down" effect.  I've tried a fractal warp and redirect to no avail (or else I'm just doing it wrong).

This is looking good! For that up and down effect, use a Warp Input Shader, and than a Vector Displacement. Then apply a PF with low roughness to the vector displacement function, and only use the Y displacment, set X and Z to 0. Now you'll get the lifties.

WAS

A side note. I often warp strata coloring or displacement by the underlying terrain itself (displacement to scalar) and some accenting with a PF. I'll post an example, hang in there.

mhaze

Dune

Very nice render. The 'problem' with strata displacement and strata colors is that they should go hand in hand.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on January 26, 2022, 01:36:04 PM
Quote from: RichTwo on January 26, 2022, 12:18:29 PMI'm back, maybe for a while... All is good for me as can be expected for these times... For some reason, for the last year or so I simply had lost the inspiration to do anything with Terragen.  So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it another shot.

This is looking good! For that up and down effect, use a Warp Input Shader, and than a Vector Displacement. Then apply a PF with low roughness to the vector displacement function, and only use the Y displacment, set X and Z to 0. Now you'll get the lifties.
He said "lifties" 😀
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.