Distant Light Sources culled

Started by WAS, December 25, 2021, 12:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Distant light sources don't work any more.

WAS

In 4.5.56 the furthest a light source renders is around 2e+07 (Z Axis) but the actual light emitted is culled and not bathing the planet. In latest builds the culling distance is even closer and not even the 2e+07 distance one will render. No glow on the atmosphere to do like fake stars. My nebula project which used my population light source generator is only rendering closest stars, with no glows in clouds and those light sources at only about 5000, 1e+06 away.

Matt

1) Light Source has a "Max distance" parameter, which defaults to 1e6. This needs to be significantly larger than the distance to the light source. For a light at distance 2e7, try a max distance of 1e8. (Ah, now I see you did in your second screenshot, but not the file you uploaded.)

2) Because of the inverse square falloff, light sources at such a large distance need a lot more power. For a light at 2e7 distance, an intensity of about 1e15 or 1e16 gives you a fairly bright landscape. (A useful mental shortcut is that squaring a number in exponential notation involves doubling the exponent, so 1e7 squared is 1e14.)

I've just tested this in 4.5.71 by modifying your file. The behaviour hasn't changed from earlier versions.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Yeah I think that was my actual root issue. I needed a much larger max distance, and much stronger emission.