Chalck Bands

Started by Virex, December 31, 2007, 11:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virex

Just a little experiment with making colour bands. The technique's surprisingly simple. Anyhow, this is also a proof of concept for a power fractal-like clip file I used for displacement.

Last thing left to do is getting good clouds and rendering it on higher atmoshpere settings.

rcallicotte

Very nice work.  And thanks for the TGD!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Nice idea!
It should also be possible to add some negative displacement to the bands, as if the rock looks ablated. Think that would be pretty cool :)

Martin

Virex

It should be possible, but i have no clue about how to do it ;)
Biggest problem I ran into is that the displacement of a power fractal doesn´t follow the colour distribution. So I´ll have to make some sort of colour gradient and use that as a blend shader.

nvseal

You can input the color from the chalk lines into the displacement node of a surface layer to apply a negative displacement (if I'm understanding what you want to do correctly).

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: nvseal on January 01, 2008, 01:33:36 PM
You can input the color from the chalk lines into the displacement node of a surface layer to apply a negative displacement (if I'm understanding what you want to do correctly).

Yeah exactly, was just about to say the exact same thing ;D

Virex

Thanks for the heads up! It seems to work like that. Rendering an updated version (with higher atmospheric settings too!) now.

Edit:
Apparently, the displacement wasn't big enough. I'll have to find time to run aother one soon.

Virex

Ok I've been able to run a quick, lower quality render, and it seems we have discovered a new way to make rips and gorges in the terain!

(note that I adjusted the colour ofset of the "Rip making" fractal a wee bit, which might explain the rips where there is no white and vice-versa)

rcallicotte

Interesting rips...this means more experimentation.  Ahhh, shucks.   ::)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

now let's see that in a reall render, with good texture and pov ;)

Virex

Actualy, the PoV's probably going to be the hardest. But first i have some mountains to study ;)