canyon trip

Started by luc BIANCO, December 30, 2021, 03:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luc BIANCO

Hi

An image a bit particular in its conception, since the canyon is calculated as spherical in Terragen (image of 10000x5000 pixels) then exported in Blender in which I added the tie interceptor and the global post processing

Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr

Hannes

Cool! Very informative!

Dune

Nice breakdown, and a cool canyon. At front right I believe to see an area that is folded inside out. That's often the problem with lateral displacements and warps.

luc BIANCO

You are right, with a path tracer rendering you can see the details inside this folding.
www.lucbianco.fr

Dune

This doesn't seem very worrysome, but some folds don't render well, and get very dark.

luc BIANCO

Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2021, 07:35:57 AMThis doesn't seem very worrysome, but some folds don't render well, and get very dark.
I've had this type of problem before, especially with the path tracer, and I solved it by switching everything to raytracing (Raytrace Everything checkbox) and increasing the Ray Detail Multiplier level from 0.25 to 1
www.lucbianco.fr

Dune

Good to know, thanks Luc!

aknight0

Very nice, thanks for sharing!  

What do you use for the pass with the small holes?  I always have trouble getting small sparse holes without making the edges too hard, but yours look very natural.

luc BIANCO

Quote from: aknight0 on December 30, 2021, 12:42:15 PMVery nice, thanks for sharing! 

What do you use for the pass with the small holes?  I always have trouble getting small sparse holes without making the edges too hard, but yours look very natural.
First you need to recompute the normals (by using a Tex Coords from XYZ node following by a Compute Normals node) then you can use a fractal with a small negative displacement and a high noise variation
www.lucbianco.fr

WAS

I shared a rock setup that uses a similar approach. the HR-B conglomerate: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26592.0.html

This is a scene I would really love a animation of. Flying through the Canyon like I always imagined from earlier Star Wars games.

Dune

I do think (on second viewing) that the voronoi cracks could be warped a bit more and broken up more, and perhaps add another size.