Add Vectors from Vector Displacement into Redirect

Started by FlynnAD, December 17, 2022, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlynnAD

Can you add together vectors before you connect them into a Redirect node?

Specifically, I have imported, painted bitmaps that I want to drive X and Z warping (so the bitmaps are purple (red and blue)). These colors are converted into vectors, then into Vector Displacement nodes where the vectors can get amplitudes, then into a Redirect nodes, which go into the Warper input of Warp Input Shader nodes. This properly distorts the noise map. I can control the directions by the bitmaps and the amplitudes by the Vector Displacement nodes.

However, I would like to be able to add the Vector Displacement nodes together BEFORE sending them into the Redirect Shader (and only having one Redirect), rather than daisy-chaining the Redirect shaders. There could be times when I do not want the end product of a Redirect back into the next Redirect, but simultaneously. If I could add the Vector Displacement nodes together beforehand, I could give various bitmaps different intensities (even positive and negative amounts) which would give a different result than the serial Redirect nodes. But currently, using a blue Add Vector or Add Multiplied Vector do nothing; the original image is shown at the end of the Warp Input Shader.

Can adding vectors be done? See attached screenshot.

Thanks,
Matt

Redirect add vectors 221217.jpg

Dune

Did you try a component mix vector? It might be that you have to strengthen each input though, as I believe they share the max, so to say. At least in mix scalars, it is that way.