The myth of Homo Sapiens superiority

Started by René, January 09, 2022, 11:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Very interesting. Thanks for the link, René.

Hannes

PabloMack

Yeah. My brother once said that so many people often say "WE are so intelligent because look at what THOSE OTHER PEOPLE did." He would ask "So what have YOU done to support YOUR claim that YOU are intelligent?"

WAS

Didn't Neanderthal have a larger brain to begin with? The real inhibitor in their species is fused vocal chords and limited capable speech. That would make communication with homo sapiens very difficult, leaving much room for miscommunication, and warring.

René

I think we' ll have to wait until a Neanderthal turns up in the Siberian permafrost(which is rapidly melting); then maybe we' ll find out what they could and couldn't do, what color their skin, hair and eyes were, and whether they could talk like we can.

Dune

That would be quite something, a cryo-frozen Neanderthal awakened, and enjoying this new society ;D

But seriously, you never know what the permafrost will deliver (apart from methane).

WAS

I don't think we necessarily need to wait. We have studies on their vocal bone being larger, and more forward set. This alone would produce weird noises. Then we have studied their DNA compared to ours such as methylation associated with the vocal chords and face. These levels show the level of production and development of these features. In Denisovan and Neanderthal these are significantly lower than modern humans. Even lower than Dolphin/Wales, capable of limited vocal communication. There isn't actually much difference from a Chimpanzee and Denisovan and Neanderthal in this body development.

I think beyond basic grunting communication or very low level vocalization, Neanderthal were mainly suggestive communicators. Pointing out things, hand language, etc.

WAS

And even today, we have trouble communicating our intent, will, and politics with other countries or even people, so not any surprise we would have vast bridges with complete other species.

WAS

I really can't wait security question to be activated, or migrate to a new forum.

PixelHermit

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the link.