Containing clouds with an object

Started by mhaze, March 17, 2022, 06:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Any idea how I might contain clouds within an object?

Dune

I don't think that's possible without some clever masking by other masks than the object.

WAS

Could export a heightmap of the top of the object, and the bottom of the object, than use two cloud layers half the full width of the object, and apply top and bottom heightmap as depth modulators. Turn the bottom modulator 1 or whatever to Invert it match up top cloud and bottom cloud seams. Make sure image maps are tiny bit smaller than the object. Should be able to put both halves in the object now. 

Hannes

As long as there are no "overhangs" this might work.

It would be incredibly cool to genuinely use (maybe invisible) objects as containers for clouds.

WAS

Yeah as long as it doesn't overhang, but even then you could still produce a vector in something like Blender, and use X/Z to warp the clouds into desired correct shape.

I did this with a floating skull before with top and bottom of the skull.

Dune

Or use a small planet on location of object, and use that to spawn clouds in.

All depends on the object of course.

WAS

Yeah, for like clouds in a bottle/spere, but i think he wants to contain them, meaning constraints.

I found this blend for creating VDM from meshes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LNKcMn4PsZ8E5Z_3J0IJAbcq1xptfD-g/view

mhaze

Thanks Guys, thought this may too difficult for me! I have seen 3d object made with clouds -there was a thread many years ago but I cant find it. Lots of blue nodes. I need a thin cylinder but the maths is beyond me.

WAS

Quote from: mhaze on March 17, 2022, 02:54:55 PMThanks Guys, thought this may too difficult for me! I have seen 3d object made with clouds -there was a thread many years ago but I cant find it. Lots of blue nodes. I need a thin cylinder but the maths is beyond me.

I am looking for the same thread. It is based on vector maps as one of the examples is it used on terrain to make a object out of the terrain. I just can't figure out how to make a flat vector map from a mesh in Blender. When I try with actual meshes using the blend file, it just maps to the UV, which is not what we want.

I asked for help here: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/256768/vector-displacement-map-from-mesh

So hopefully we get an answer.

Dune

A thin cylinder shouldn't be too hard by using a few simple shapes and/or camera and distance shader as mask.

mhaze

Thanks Dune, I've been trying to do the same thing with blue nodes but my maths isn't up to it!

Dune

Maybe this will help.