Leaning Masked Alpines

Started by WAS, February 07, 2022, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

When I lean masked alpines, I get this weird tear at the base. The mask is smooth at it's boundary, and also covers the area after the mountains into the center so not sure how it would affect the area with the tear.

Didn't even notice it until I rendered this WIP.

Dune

Well, it's a pretty cool effect anyway. Perhaps the leaning minimum altitude plays a role...

WAS

I don't like the tear. It immediately tells my brain something is broken with the displacement. If I swap the Alpine shader with a PF, I don't get the tear.

WAS

Oh no, it's till there. Just higher up. I'm just confused now. I wonder if it's just the simple shapes? They do have hard falloff, and it doesn't transition to black smoothly. That's why I made that functional based one which actually linearly gradients to black.

Dune

Maybe it's the black edge line (which I always turn off), interfering with the computation of the alpine (and the tilt)...

WAS

Yeah I thought so too so I disabled. Checked better continuity in PF version as well as on surface layers. I'll share the file in the morning. It's either simple shape continuity or more likely something I am overlooking and probably a "duh" moment.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on February 10, 2022, 01:48:12 AMMaybe it's the black edge line (which I always turn off), interfering with the computation of the alpine (and the tilt)...
I'm afraid, I'm lost on this one. Which black edge do you mean, Ulco?

KlausK

...of the SSS mask, I thought .?.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

WAS

Alright here is the project. There's gotta be something I missing.

Tangled-Universe

I'm lost, have been going through your file and this topic back and forth for like half an hour and came to the conclusion that I don't understand what the 'tear' is you're referring to.
Can you help me understand the issue you're experiencing?

WAS

Sure they are present on both sides but here is the facing side circled:

Sorry for size. I'm on my phone.

Dune

The tear is in the simple shape with the very small percentage. If you raise that to 1% it's virtually gone.

Tangled-Universe

Ah thanks for clarifying!

I noticed that besides adjusting the percentage for that sss, that increasing its size along Z also removes the issue.
It becomes invisible when I change the size to 100k x 125k, for instance.

I have no idea why this happens, as the percentage basically means 50m falloff, which is not super small in absolute size.
However, I wonder though if this is really worth figuring out and all the mental exercise, please see image attached (bottom is difference between 2 renders).
There's very little difference between having this layer masked or unmasked.
Personally I wouldn't bother with this, but I'll leave that up to you...

WAS

That does seem strange as the lean masks come in to the center near 0,0,0 before even being fuzzied, which is far beyond where the tear is in where the actual fault and negative displacement is.

The reason they are masked Martin, is it will lean the other mountain on X+, so when it leans on X-, the X+ just makes the mountain upright again and no lean into the fault.