New Super-Computer

Started by Orangebugpro, December 19, 2007, 10:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 20, 2007, 01:39:17 PM
I also have a quad @ 2.4 GHz with 4GB DDR2-800 RAM, 1 TB storage and a 8600GTS 512MB (don't bother videocards, never play games, only watch HD-content).
Today I've done my first test-render with this system using 4 instances of TG2 to render one of my strata-images else on the forum.
On my old machine (AMD 2,2 GHz, 2GB DDR-400) it took 15 hours and on this new one only 1h15m!! Serious! :D ;D :P

Sweet!  Glad you are all geared up now.

Careful with the GI banding when rendering with different instances.  They still haven't got this dialed in just yet.  I've had to use a 12% overlap on my images, and even then there can be some remnant banding. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

Quote from: moodflow on December 20, 2007, 03:53:23 PM
Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 19, 2007, 10:51:49 PM
...and a 40" monitor ;)

Wholly schmolly!  What the hell?  What model is it?  What resolution?  Thats BAD ASS!  8)

I just bought a 28" 1920x1200 monitor, but considering upping to the 30" Gateway XHD3000.  Not sure yet though.

Relax...its a samsung LCD TV.....and the resolution is 1360 x 768...its know the resolution is crap...but I can connect my computer via HDMI and play games at 1920 x 1080 and also connect PS3 on it....:D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Wow you guys :o.  My dual-core laptop that I was feeling wicked fast with ever since I upgraded from my old G4 feels kind of lame right now :P.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Sethren

Samsung is a well rounded brand. There HD TVs are very good looking. I want one very much so.    :'(

dhavalmistry

from my experience....dont use a HDTV and your monitor (if you are going to use TG2 or Photoshop)...you will run into problems such as backlight of the LCD being too bright, hence everything on your screen will be bright and sharp and crisp....that could lead to incorrect lighting/color in TG2 or photoshop or any other similar softwares......I have ran into same problem and many of my TG2 renders look have turned out to be way off when checked on different monitors......

when you plugin a HDTV via VGA input of the tv...you dont get much options to calibrate (atleast on my samsung) except contrast/brightness and backlight setting....and no color/tint option...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"