How are you guys rendering your animations in a reasonable time?

Started by rca06d, March 12, 2022, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rca06d

I did see this post that sounds like the dev team is working on getting GPU rendering going: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28043.0.html

Any of you guys use other VFX tools that support GPU rendering? Is it vastly faster, or are you still pretty much in render farm land even with a good GPU?

Dune

aaronb

Quote from: WAS on March 15, 2022, 05:34:58 PMGood to note too, that if you're doing stuff like reflections, frame time can vary greatly. One frame could be 30 minutes, and the next hitting glare angles taking 4 hours. Lol
I am a new user (just a few weeks in) but so far I found reflections to be a big thing and when objects are small using non-raytraced reflections looked acceptable and took my few seconds sequence from 5 days to just 1.

cyphyr

I bought a machine purely for rendering recently. It was a crappy gaming system that had a mobo in it that could take a decent CPU that I purchased separately. Total outlay, just over a grand. I used some old ram and and an the onboard graphics card.
It doesn't need to be a power house to be able to quietly turn out frames while you are working on your next project.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: aaronb on March 16, 2022, 05:38:55 AM
Quote from: WAS on March 15, 2022, 05:34:58 PMGood to note too, that if you're doing stuff like reflections, frame time can vary greatly. One frame could be 30 minutes, and the next hitting glare angles taking 4 hours. Lol
I am a new user (just a few weeks in) but so far I found reflections to be a big thing and when objects are small using non-raytraced reflections looked acceptable and took my few seconds sequence from 5 days to just 1.

Objects render fast to begin with. Bit different with non-baked Geo. Especially if path tracing where there are no non ray traced reflections.