grain in water

Started by Dune, April 19, 2022, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Cool! I'm glad it worked. :)

Dune

Yeah, so am I. Thanks again!

Hannes

The first thing I did, after I saw your new windows was to try your initial murky water file. Unfortunately your water sphere was already set to not cast shadows, so this solution doesn't work for water... :(

Dune

Probably because the water shader has integral murkyness, unlike the glass in the house.

WAS

It's working on completed models. It is not working on your separated object with no Shadows. Just reflection, and killing PT bounce within the house so I just see static direct lighting, which honestly you wouldn't see so clear from outside in the light. But meh. Might as well render SR windows that at least have some rake refraction screening, no? This is just broken. Most the windows don't even appear to exist due to lighting.And because there is still grain, you just have grainy screens in place of windows (like to keep flies out).

If you are going to separate objects, couldn't you just mask to the house and windows for a a higher quality PT? Object without volume will render fast, and then can get actual PT internals of the house with real bounce.

It's also weird that non lit trees are captured in reflections, but the building is. Only tree visible is the porch one, which reflects only shadowed object? I swear that's all you see on houses in relative shade, is all the sunny environment around, and lit trees.

Dune

In fact clear glass shouldn't throw shadows, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I didn't set double-sided, so I might try that as well (needed for internal bounce, I don't know).
This bit of grain can be taken out, but what I had before was really awful, even in very high settings!

WAS

From the settings I was doing, it takes really high, ridiculous settings. Hence the independent control being really needed.

And glass does throw a shadow, in fact, and that shadow is usually tinted with the shade of the glass, like that common green-blue. But I think the real issue is no shadow is somehow telling the renderer not to do any GI, which takes into consideration shadows.

But yeah glass does have a shadow as it does dampen rays passing through it to a degree, so when you say, take a sheet of glass over a sun ray or flashlight there will be a noticeable dim, and you can see the sheet of glass passing over the ray (shadow wise on the ground). It's even more intense with windows for houses, which use gasses between the windowpanes. They always seem to have the strongest effect outside automotive glass because of the plastic coating (safety glass).

Hannes

I think, you're right, Jordan. Physically speaking glass casts shadows. But since CG is more or less an aproximation to reality, I could live with the not existing shadow of let's say a window glass. But the killed GI behind it like we could see in your screenshot is not good. However in Ulco's last image of the house it's not too obvious.