Question about OBJ Export

Started by drwayne, April 22, 2022, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drwayne

I am looking at Terragen as a terrain generator for another tool.  The way I would get data into that other tool would be through a Wavefront obj file.  It looks like I would be able to export an obj file from the terrain I generate.  (Tell me I am stupid if I am worng there).  The next question is whether the obj that I export will have an associated texture, and whether that texture would contain features like shadows from the Terragen scene I created.

I realize that I may need to get the Pro version of Terragen if I want to do this, and I am ready to do so, but I want to know whether I can ge where I want to go.

Thanks in advance!

Wayne

WAS

The Micro Exporter (which is exclusive to Professional versions), which is used to export terrain as an object, is in its infancy currently. It does not support texture export. You can do this separately by doing an ortho export of the terrain, and an ortho export of the terrain colour with same dimensions. Note that this method doesn't work well with very steep cliffs, as your exported texture will probably stretch in those areas. It also cannot capture texture under overhangs. Some things to consider.

Matt is working on texture exporting, and we can hope to see that in the future.

drwayne

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the information and your taking the time to provide it!

Wayne