Roman ruins

Started by Dune, May 11, 2022, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm working on a new commission and this is a very small crop. Nothing fancy, I just liked it. It's around 800 AD, and I'd love to wander around through those Roman ruins.

BroBpony

Hannes

Great!! I'd love to be there as well.
Did you make these ruins or are these downloads?

Dune

I made them in Lightwave with fracturing (which is cool), but also 'worn' them in Zbrush, because the breaking of walls and towers from LW didn't really look well enough like time has worn them, but rather like a bomb has hit them. Turned out to be a pretty time-consuming effort. I wish there were a procedural 'erosion' way ;) Luckily it's all far away.

Hannes

Anyway... looks really convincing!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 12, 2022, 06:22:51 AMI made them in Lightwave with fracturing (which is cool), but also 'worn' them in Zbrush, because the breaking of walls and towers from LW didn't really look well enough like time has worn them, but rather like a bomb has hit them. Turned out to be a pretty time-consuming effort. I wish there were a procedural 'erosion' way ;) Luckily it's all far away.
Blender Mesh Damage would probably be a cool tool.

zaxxon

That's some really nice landscape work around those ruins. A beauty!

pixelpusher636

Very nice render. It makes me want to wander around and explore as well. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

dorianvan

I love it. Great start or finish. Don't forget to have some smoke sailing up, travelers on the road, and maybe some herds of animals somewhere. Really cool to see the proximity of villages.
-Dorian

Dune

Thanks guys. This is only 1/20 upper-left crop of a larger landscape, so there will be people, a medieval village and stuff, but more to the front. The ruins have been there for hundreds of years already. It's around 800 AD here, and the Roman buildings were abandoned around 200 AD, when the country's population was dwindling. So the smoke has already gone :P
I was imagining more shrub and vines overgrowing the remnants, but the client likes to see the stones and structure for educational purposes.
If the ruins were good enough for a close render, I'd love to do something more with them though.