Rocks (once again)

Started by Dune, June 09, 2022, 01:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks guys. Yes, I'd love a way to get rid of overlaps, but I'm afraid that's not possible without some major surgery to the software. You just need to build up the lateral volumes carefully.
The light is very simple; I used to project an image map through an extra camera located at the location for the lit area, directed at the sun, but the projection is always with a certain angle, and it leaves a narrowing beam at the camera location. Which is kind of opposite to what you'd expect.
Now I use a rotated simple shape (soft circular), which gives out a straight beam. I know, there are no handles, but you can use a transform shader, and figure out the angle from sun parameters. I'll make it easy for you; for a sun at 300 and elevation 25; set transform shader Y to (270=west) +30, and Z to (90= straight up) -65.
Both used as masks for cloud fractal or final density.

Hannes

zaxxon

The rock faces are pretty extraordinary: each time you invest time exploring these techniques you come up with even more realistic and impressive results!  TG is such a mind-puzzle and I'm always amazed at the possibilities. I too prefer the scene with the horses and the dramatic lighting!  The composition and impact as an image are far superior (imo) to the other examples.  Eliminating 'wild horses' is a moral mistake in Nature, and dare I say it? in Art as well!  ;)   As far as the 'believability': indeed, small mountain and desert pony's can be very adept at scrambling over rocky areas and steep inclines. Save the Wild Horses!   Great work Ulco! 

pixelpusher636

Nice renders Dune! Some very nice rock displacements with a dash of moody lighting, well done Sir. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Thank you guys. TG is indeed a very deep and dark toolbox, you'll never know what's under the next tool combination. I'll bring back some of the darkest lights in renders to come 8)  And horses!
Here's another iteration of the same file, but slightly different. Here I flattened the lower end (under 182m) for 95%, masked the squarish rocks above that and added some rock debris. Maybe not dark enough?

Hannes

Awesome! The rocks and the vegetation are superb!!! The lighting is fantastic! Maybe a little more work on the clouds?

zaxxon

That is simply wonderful!

pixelpusher636

Oh hell yes! Everything is looking even better and that lighting, nice!!

Dune

Another rock study.

Dune

And last for now.

Strangely, I cannot upload a small file.....

mhaze

Dune

Thanks, Mick.

I'll try upload another iteration...

pixelpusher636

Oh yeah! I like the veg and color variation in the rock on this one. 

Dune

And yet another one.