displacement maps from JS Placement

Started by Balletdude, July 30, 2022, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balletdude

I've been playing with JS Placement, a free piece of software, which generates technical looking displacement maps.
I used one of them along with a colour map from the same software to create a small city type thing. I then used colour adjust on the colour image to create the illumination. The slight blur is done in photoshop. Duplicate the layer, use levels to crush the blacks, leaving only the brightest highlights, change the layer to screen and then add gaussian blur until you get the look you want

Hannes

Yes, I used this app some time as well. Cool Stuff! Thanks for the link.

Balletdude

@Hannes thanks. I've also been playing with the dot generator in JS placement. and used it as a mask for a very low cloud layer to suggest floating lights or such above the 'city'

I used very low settings and a crop just to test it out

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Balletdude on July 30, 2022, 12:48:12 PMI've been playing with JS Placement, a free piece of software, which generates technical looking displacement maps.
I used one of them along with a colour map from the same software to create a small city type thing. I then used colour adjust on the colour image to create the illumination. The slight blur is done in photoshop. Duplicate the layer, use levels to crush the blacks, leaving only the brightest highlights, change the layer to screen and then add gaussian blur until you get the look you want
Balletdude this first render looks pretty cool. I like the illumination you've added to the color map and the light reflection is a nice touch too. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Balletdude

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on August 02, 2022, 10:24:58 PM
Quote from: Balletdude on July 30, 2022, 12:48:12 PMI've been playing with JS Placement, a free piece of software, which generates technical looking displacement maps.
Balletdude this first render looks pretty cool. I like the illumination you've added to the color map and the light reflection is a nice touch too.

Thank you. The bloom effect, if thats what you mean is an old trick I came up with in photoshop.