Objects

Started by Phylloxera, January 03, 2007, 04:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phylloxera

Hello, I have a problem with the importation of objects to the obj format (bug systematic) with the tgo format no concern, the question that I installation is as follows: how to transform exploitable objects in xrf (Xfrog)en tgo under TG2
Thank you for your answers!

rcallicotte

Import the object and then there's some way in the menu to save the object as a TGO.  I haven't done it, since I used the free TGO's from xFrog.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

helentr

Quote from: Phylloxera on January 03, 2007, 04:02:49 AM
Hello, I have a problem with the importation of objects to the obj format (bug systematic) with the tgo format no concern, the question that I installation is as follows: how to transform exploitable objects in xrf (Xfrog)en tgo under TG2
Thank you for your answers!

I don't believe there is any way to import an XFR object into Terragen. You need to have Xfrog to open, then save (from within Xfrog) into OBJ - I am not sure whether the latest stand alone Xfrog  (3.5) can save to TGO

Helen

Phylloxera

I tried to safeguard an object in .tgo by making a right click but textures do not appear, with regard to Xfrog 3.5, it appears impossible to export an object with the tgo format? Thank you for your answers!

Sethren

No the latest version of Xfrog 3.5 can not save to TGO, only rayshade (.shade), wavefront (.obj), autocad (.dxf), renderman (.rib), lightwave 6.5 (.lwo), 3d studio r4 (.3ds), vmrl 1.0 (.wrl).

I have to mention the one aspect i liked about vue d'esprit is when i had saved xfrog plants with imported texture map i made i would save the plant as a .obj. Then i would import the plant into vue and everything would be there, textures exactly how i imported them into xfrog originally according to x and y placement and number of image repeats. Vue made this very easy but for Terragen 2 i am not sure. I do not have xfrog at the moment.

I would hope one day that Greenworks will team up with Planetside and create an xfrog plugin for Terragen 2. Imagine editing and instancing xfrog objects from within Terragen 2. Well, we can dream i suppose.

otter5555

i have spent the last week trying to get trees from xfrog 3.5 to work in tg2 with zero sucess.

i have exported them from xfrog in EVERY available format.

directly loaded both wavefront obj's and lwo's into tg2. converted to tgo and still get horrible looking trees.

i have exported from xfrog 3.5 in all formats , converted (in blender and several other programs) to obj, loaded into tg2, saved as tgo's

and STILL get crappy looking trees.

what am i doing wrong?

i have no prob using the free xfrog tgo trees.

if anyone has a simple 1,2,3, explanation that works for them please fill me in  :)

thanks for the help

otter

FrankThomas

I've managed to use the .obj version of Xfrog plants ok - I wouldn't want to look at 'em up too close though - for some reason they look a bit iffy close up

Phylloxera

Quote from: FrankThomas on January 03, 2007, 05:23:54 PM
I've managed to use the .obj version of Xfrog plants ok - I wouldn't want to look at 'em up too close though - for some reason they look a bit iffy close up
You have much chance!! The ideal would be a plugin or the possibility of importing objects in xrf (Xfrog) in TG2!!

FrankThomas

Well, I just received the basic DVD through the post from XFrog so I'll have a play with some of the stuff on there and see how it looks

Oshyan

I seem to be able to load OBJ versions of Xfrog plants ok. Sometimes they are unstable (this will be addressed in a future update) and it helps to resave as TGO. But other than that they work fine. Can you post an image showing what you mean by "horrible looking trees"?

- Oshyan

otter5555

Oshyan,

the image below is the white spruce from xfrog 3.5.
i exported it as an obj, loaded it into tg2 with xfrog compatibility option .
if i try to render at this point i get a totally white screen.

i then saved it as a tgo and pressed render. i still get a totally white screen.

i then go into the multishader and make sure it is pointed to the correct image files for trunk and leaves. it is, but still renders totally white screen.

i then creat a new multishader, point it to the exact same image files and render a crappy looking tree :)

i have tried every possible export format, with zero success. i have used SEVERAL other programs (blender, accutrans, maya 6 ,lightwave9, vue 5 infinite, hexagon, shade 8, cinema 4d, cararra 5 pro and others) to convert the xfrog export to lwo and obj before loading into tg2 and it makes no difference.

i have tried all projection modes inside the multishader.

xfrog 3.5 trees are usless for me inside tg2.

i welcome a simple 1,2,3, solution to this problem

thanks in advance

otter

3DGuy

I tried exporting an obj from 3DS8 and importing it in TG2, but when I press enter, the program poofs... Is there something different about obj files created by 3DS8 or do I need another conversion step?

Oshyan

otter, that looks like "through camera" projection is on for one of your textures. Is that the result you get with the defaults, or after some of the adjustments you mentioned? The white is interesting, it looks like the alpha isn't being handled properly. Would you say that would seem to characterize your problem? If you can provide an image of the way it renders just after import that could be helpful.

I'll do some tests on my end with some of the Xfrog library plants and see what I come up with.

3DGuy, try right-clicking the imported object and using Save Object As to save as a TGO, then delete the OBJ version and load the TGO you just saved. This seems to help in some cases. The OBJ crashing bugs will be addressed in an upcoming patch.

- Oshyan

hyper1

Otter,
If you could send me the .mtl portion of the .obj file I think I know what the problem is, in any event I also own XFrog 3.5 and could further test the problem.
Gary Poole
hyperpoole@yahoo.com

Quote from: otter5555 on January 05, 2007, 02:02:06 PM
Oshyan,
the image below is the white spruce from xfrog 3.5.
i exported it as an obj, loaded it into tg2 with xfrog compatibility option .
if i try to render at this point i get a totally white screen.
i then saved it as a tgo and pressed render. i still get a totally white screen.
i then go into the multishader and make sure it is pointed to the correct image files for trunk and leaves. it is, but still renders totally white screen.
i then creat a new multishader, point it to the exact same image files and render a crappy looking tree :)
i have tried every possible export format, with zero success. i have used SEVERAL other programs (blender, accutrans, maya 6 ,lightwave9, vue 5 infinite, hexagon, shade 8, cinema 4d, cararra 5 pro and others) to convert the xfrog export to lwo and obj before loading into tg2 and it makes no difference.
i have tried all projection modes inside the multishader.
xfrog 3.5 trees are usless for me inside tg2.
i welcome a simple 1,2,3, solution to this problem
thanks in advance

otter

3DGuy

Quote from: JavaJones on January 05, 2007, 10:34:28 PM
3DGuy, try right-clicking the imported object and using Save Object As to save as a TGO, then delete the OBJ version and load the TGO you just saved. This seems to help in some cases. The OBJ crashing bugs will be addressed in an upcoming patch.

I can't. When I select the .obj file TG2 shuts down. To make sure it wasn't a model problem I created a simple cube exported that as an wavefront obj and then tried adding that as an object in TG2. When I select the obj file and press ok TG2 poofs.

edit: I've found a workaround that works for me so far. I downloaded Wings3D. Exported my model from 3DSMAX8 as an .3ds file, imported in Wings3D then exported it from there as an .obj file and that works. Yay.

Now I gotta find a way to reduce my stargate model to reasonable proportions (i.e. facecount) :P Is there any way to smooth the result as my object looks faceted now. Is that upto the surface shaders I still have to assign?