Rotate Clouds with Planet?

Started by Greg44, October 15, 2022, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg44

Hi I've searched and a few topics are similar, but did not offer too much help. Been to the planetside wiki.

I have a scene of the earth from space, similar to the videos from the ISS.  See attachment. I have the earth rotating, textures and contents, all rotating with the planet.  Cool. But the clouds won't rotate. They are stationary as the earth rotates below them.
There is no "Rotate Atmosphere with Planet" int he planet object checkbox.

I saw solutions? using the translate transform on the powerfracal maps that generate the clouds, but the local clouds have a completely different centre than the planet, I have 4 cloud layers and I would animate all their power fractal maps all individually?

There are so many planets made with Terragen, I don't understand why I can't find the option to rotate the atmosphere with the planet.

I've decided I can move the camera instead, but it would be much easier just to rotate the clouds with the planet.

Thanks in advance, Greg

WAS

move the planet to 0,0,0 location, and enable rotate/translate textures inside the planet node (rotate planet as per usual basically). For the clouds, rotate the Y axis of the cloud fractals with a transform input shader.

Greg44

Thank You.
I got it working with the transform input shader.
Ugh, still took 4 hours of fooling around with it.

I found this method does work with local clouds and the spot on the planet I liked is near the equator, so my camera is "sideways" to how Terragen seems to like to work.
I tried to mask global clouds with a simple shape. but simple shapes are stuck on the x-z axis, so the mask was perpendicular to the surface.
Ended up just masking out the clouds with a power fractal.
It's close enough and I'm happy with it.

Thanks.

Dune

You can rotate a simple shape, but have to use a transform shader. Set it on 0/0/0 and type location and rotation (over X or Z).