Water games

Started by Hannes, October 20, 2022, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

A (sci fi) military scene in bad weather. This time I rendered a "clean" scene (no atmospherics) plus a bunch of fog-, rain- and splash passes. Besides from having more control in the end it was way faster to render this way than all at once. The pure scene is rendered with the path tracer, and the atmospheric stuff with the legacy renderer.
For the steamy area directly over the vehicles' surface I did some more postwork. I rendered larger instance versions of the splash populations (which are actually again modified grass clumps), blurred it and erased unwanted parts in Photoshop. I haven't found a way to use a cloud layer for example for this.

Mahnmut

Cool technique,
very atmospheric in a martial -techie way.

pixelpusher636

You Sir are a hit machine with these renders buzzing with life. At first glance it looked like a scene straight out of Halo. A very nice render indeed Hannes!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Holy cow, this is terrific again. The rain and reflections are very realistic. The rain technique is something I have to try some day as well, very inspirational. Thanks for posting this Hannes!

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys! This is very encouraging. :)

masonspappy

AMazing work Hannes. Makes me want to go kick some alien a$$

Hannes

;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you. Actually one of the scenes in Avatar (when they arrive on Pandora) was the inspiration for this image.

KlausK

That is absolutely brilliant, Hannes!

Did you describe somewhere how you made the rain? It looks very nice.
But most of all I like the overcast lighting you use in some of your scenes.
It so NOT the typical TG sky-atmo-cloud combination.
Did you use a similar technique like you described here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28356.msg281469.html#msg281469

CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

Quote from: KlausK on October 22, 2022, 06:17:31 AMThat is absolutely brilliant, Hannes!
Did you describe somewhere how you made the rain? It looks very nice.
But most of all I like the overcast lighting you use in some of your scenes.
It so NOT the typical TG sky-atmo-cloud combination.
Did you use a similar technique like you described here:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28356.msg281469.html#msg281469
CHeers, Klaus
Thanks Klaus!! Here you can find the rain (streaks):
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21035.msg210280.html#msg210280
And you're right I used more or less the same method like in the thread you posted. This time it's just a hollow hemisphere (selfilluminating) with a hemispherical sky mapped to it to light the scene (sun disabled). And as I wrote the splashes are modified grass clumps.

Hannes

mhaze

pclavett

That is an amazing render and the rain is superb ! Almost looks like some of the base scenes in Avatar !

Hannes

That was exactly my inspiration! ;D