Tips for easing transition between plane object and mountain terrain?

Started by JoshuaM, December 09, 2022, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshuaM

Hello all,

I am trying to find a way to ease a transition between a plane object (Ice Sheet) and some mountainous terrain (DEMs). The plane in my project intersects with the mountains similar to this image. However without the smooth slopes of snow.

I am thinking adding some snow banks between the Ice sheet and the mountains to ease the transition. I can add snow build up on the mountains (like in this tutorial) in the shaders tab or on the Ice sheet object. I am having trouble figuring out a way to add something "in between" them. Is there a way to create new terrain based on a intersection between two objects? 

I am a Terragen novice so I may be missing something here. If you have any suggestions on how to achieve this look let me know! Thanks.

Dune

A plane object (even if displaced smoother than the DEM) will always have a hard edge when intersecting with the terrain as they are two separate objects. So for a smooth transition you need to use just the planet, and the intersect method. If you set the displacement intersection zone bigger, and the compute terrain as well, the transition will be smoother.
Here's a file for you that may be of help. If I understand what you need.

But with DEM's I don't really know if the intersection method will work, as they are sort of fixed displacement maps, I guess (I never use them).

Welcome, btw!

JoshuaM

Thanks for the helpful reply!

I added that snow file set up and added some displacement to increase the thickness of the snow mounds. Now the transition is a lot less noticeable. Thanks again for the information! I am going to continue experimenting with the intersect method and see what else I can do to smooth it out.

Dune

You're welcome. It would be interesting to see what your progress is.