Finding nodes in GUI

Started by FlynnAD, December 17, 2022, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlynnAD

Would it be possible to introduce a "search" function within the Terragen GUI for finding nodes, other than right-clicking and going through menus? What I am after is a type of double-left-click on an empty space to bring up a simple blank type-in search bar, so a user could start typing "R" and all the commands with R show up, continue typing "R-E-D" and only those commands such as "Red to scalar" and "Redirect" would become available. This would be very similar to the Grasshopper UI (software within Rhinoceros) or how a user searches for items within Unreal Engine. While the right-click menu within Terragen accesses most nodes within two menus, some take four menus (image shown). If a user forgets where a node is located, there's a lot of searching that happens.

Thanks,
Matt
TG right-click node selection menu2.jpg

Dune

The 4 steps you showed can be done in 3 if you directly select functions. But you are right, it takes a few clicks, and search and auto-fill-in would be handy.
What you can do is make a base file (or a clip) with the nodes you regularly use. So there's one click and you can choose whatever you need, duplicate it, etc.
I think there is also a way to make your own favorite list, but I have to admit; I used it, but forgot about it after a while, and just do a few clicks when I need something.

jhmart1

Click in an empty area of the node network display, hit the N key to bring up the Quick Node Palette; there is a search field at the bottom (you can also type the first letter or two of what you're looking for and it will search for you). If you want to favorite anything in the list, click the star at the bottom of the palette.
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 12.28.06 PM.png

KlausK

The "N" keyboard shortcut is one possibility.
You find the "Node Palette" in the "View" menu and open it from there as well.

You can have it open in the interface always as well. You also can have more than one palette open.

And if you go to the TG4 Preferences you`ll find a tick box under "General" which lets you restore
the Node Palette when you reload a scene file. The palette gets stored with the scene file.

When it is open in the interface it is always "On Top".

The search field at the bottom has a few search cases under the "Zoom" icon:
- Ignore Case
- Contains
- Does Not Contain
- Starts With
- Whole Words
- Ends With

So what you are asking for is already there.

I have a "Favourite" Palette for the Function Nodes I use a lot. Very handy.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

...like this.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

There's a slight problem with the search function; if you need a convert function, it won't find any. Not in 'all nodes', not in 'functions'. You do have to know exactly what conversion you need, then it finds the right node (eg. it finds 'blue' ). I think more of the 'subtitles' won't be presented as a list; like 'Noise'.
It does give you a list if you search for 'add', 'divide', that sort of subtitles.

KlausK

Well, that is due to the way you search. Like with every search machine...

1) Change the "Category" to show in the Node Palette from "All Nodes" to "Function: Convert" and the conversion nodes are listed.

2) If you want to search in the "All Nodes" category set the search criteria in the bottom to "Ignore Case" AND to "Whole Words"!
THEN search for the term "to". The "Convert" nodes (all?) have the word "to" in their name. That`s that ;)
I did not count nor compare if all are listed.

3) Use the "Favourites" function.

CHeers, Klaus

Dune

Thanks, Klaus. I didn't dive into it that deep :P 
But that would still mean a few clicks (and the initial quateion was about speed), and I still don't understand why 'add' does list all add stuff, and convert doesn't.

For me favorites will do, or a fast tgc having a number of often used blues.

KlausK

"Double-click in an empty space of the TG GUI and get a search box to type something in" is what he asked for.
If you do "N" in the Network window pane you get exactly that! The Node Palette with the search box at the bottom.
That`s 1 or 2 clicks away top-most?

It`s a poor search function I`d say. It can only search for the Node Name - not for the Function/Category Name.

The problem with the Favourites Palette for me is the fact that it quickly grows to a large number of "Favourites" ???
And again, if you set it up once in the scene file the palette comes back when reopening and the search box is simply and always there.
To me that is fast and easy.
But anyways, I got the impression that FlynnAD did not know about the Node Palette window at all...?...
If so, I think all the answers should help improve his workflow.

CHeers, Klaus

Dune

I think this thread is very helpfull for many indeed. And speaking of favorites; I have a folder of favorite tgc's, and it's hundreds!! No search function either :P

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on December 19, 2022, 11:19:49 AMI have a folder of favorite tgc's, and it's hundreds!!
Me too! Maybe not hundreds, but a lot of interesting things I collected here or maybe made myself.

sjefen

Maybe I have misunderstood something. I'm on my phone and some of the replies are impossible to read, but if you hit tab on your keyboard it will bring up a search function. From here you could just start typing the name of the node you're looking for.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dune

Apparently that works the same as 'n'.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

FlynnAD

TAB or N = AWESOME! Exactly what I was hoping Terragen could have, and it's already there!

Thanks everyone.