Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

It works great. We just need it to connect automatically  ;D
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Kevin Kipper

Hi Everyone and thanks for the feedback on the Quick Node Palette feature in Terragen 4.

We've had a video about this feature "pending" for awhile and figured it should be thrown into this conversation.

We hope you find some useful information in it.

icarus51

Hi,
Me too have a special folder for TGC. We see that we have a common thought. ;D
Quote from: Dune on December 19, 2022, 11:19:49 AMI think this thread is very helpfull for many indeed. And speaking of favorites; I have a folder of favorite tgc's, and it's hundreds!! No search function either
Regards.

sboerner

Great video, Kevin, thanks for posting. I use this palette every day -- just press tab and start typing -- and have always been able to find the node I want with two or three keystrokes. But I had no idea that it contained a hidden panel and a favorites list. You learn something new every day!

WAS

Moving both your hands to the keyboard to search for a node, or anything, is considered more obtrusive then leaving your hand on the mouse, and using context. Whole reason most every system ever is a GUI. This is not faster, but considered much slower, as every key-stroke is technically a step (enter Macros to condense those steps down).

command line interface style keyboard searching is more advanced area (you know what you want explicitly -- doesn't facilitate categories to give an idea of what it is when browsing).

It would be cool if the context a menus were all sorted from the root menu though (but easy to see why it is the way it is when it comes to functions and special case lists), instead of so many sub-menus. Maybe right-click -> main-line functions, and middle-click / alt + right-click -> all special case functions

Dune

Speaking for myself; I don't use 2 hands on keyboard, except for typing text, but can find certain keys blindly with left hand while holding my Wacom pen in the other (logically).
The only thing that sometimes confuses me is the combination of keys needed for navigating in 3D space between different softwares, a mix of Alt, Shift, or both, and right or left pen button, etc. Best is not to think!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2023, 03:53:46 AMSpeaking for myself; I don't use 2 hands on keyboard, except for typing text, but can find certain keys blindly with left hand while holding my Wacom pen in the other (logically).
The only thing that sometimes confuses me is the combination of keys needed for navigating in 3D space between different softwares, a mix of Alt, Shift, or both, and right or left pen button, etc. Best is not to think!
That's the biggest complaint with Blender is it's use of Macros and incompetent context menus. In 3.0 the revamped the menus so everything that was only through keyboard can be sought in menus.

I find the use of Macros and keyboard shortcuts particularly bad because of the prevalence of dyslexia amoung artists. It shows the disconnect from analytical development and who end-use users are. 

sboerner

This is a really great point. I find it easier to learn software by menu command, picking up shortcuts as I go. Also switching between applications it's not always easy to remember keyboard shortcuts, at least at first. Menus let you keep working. The Blender folks have done an outstanding job streamlining the interface and making it more accessible.

Doug

Quote from: WAS on January 09, 2023, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2023, 03:53:46 AMSpeaking for myself; I don't use 2 hands on keyboard, except for typing text, but can find certain keys blindly with left hand while holding my Wacom pen in the other (logically).
That's the biggest complaint with Blender is it's use of Macros and incompetent context menus. In 3.0 the revamped the menus so everything that was only through keyboard can be sought in menus.

I find the use of Macros and keyboard shortcuts particularly bad because of the prevalence of dyslexia amoung artists. It shows the disconnect from analytical development and who end-use users are.
tell me about lefties

i use a right handed mouse with the left hand and the keyboard with my right hand