Populations unlinking on reopening.

Started by xpez2000, January 24, 2023, 07:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpez2000

In my current file I have several populations using an OBJ rock object.  I have them setup with their proper locations using distributions nodes and masks. Anyway when I save the file and close and come back to it I always have to relink the files and repopulate the elements. 

It didnt start out that way but as I have versioned up I have noticed this break in the linking. Nothing has moved and when I relink and repopulate and then save and version up and close Terragen, when i come back to it again I always have to relink the populations over and over. 

Does anyone have any tips to get my file back on track?  Thanks!

Hannes

Hard to say what's happening with your file. I just did a test with an obj population using a power fractal as density shader, saved it, reopened it and populated it again. Works.
So I'm not sure, why it doesn't work for you.
Did I get that right? You said that you have to relink the objects each time you open a newly saved version of your file. How does the "Object maker" slot in your pop look? Is it empty? If you click on the + of your pop, do you see your obj file, and it's disconnected from the object maker input? If so, it's definitely not normal.

Of course objects have to be repopulated again when you just opened your file, but TG does this automatically, when you hit render, unless you have created a population cache before. Have you tried that? With a cache the population should be already there, when you open the scene.

However, it's probably impossible to see what doesn't work without inspecting your file. Maybe you can upload it here?

Dune

And what happens if you save the rock object as a tgo, and link that to your population instead. Then save and re-open project, of course. Maybe the obj doesn't read the proper variables/textures after re-importing, and perhaps that causes it to unlink. With a tgo that's safer.
It does sometimes occur that a node with the same name as a similar node in a 'container' acts strangely; causes breaks in links. That could also happen here.

KlausK

I just tried as well.
Five objs in five different populations.
Works fine.

The objects don`t have any material on them if that makes a difference.

But I can save, close TG, reopen, etc and they stay connected.
This is on TG 4.5.71 (so, not the latest version here)

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

xpez2000

ok. these sounds like good suggestions. I will try these out and report back if I have more issues!

thanks for the tips!