On stage

Started by Hannes, March 02, 2023, 02:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thank you, Masonspappy!!

Quote from: masonspappy on March 06, 2023, 08:40:24 AMNitpick: looks like bongos on right are floating?
Nope! See attached image. :) The congas are on a stand.

masonspappy

I "Stand" corrected !

Hannes

Dune

You have a way with language recently ;D ;D

Hannes

An open air situation. I added a lot of more lights (by hand!!! ::) ), and of course a lot of people. I spent quite some time posing characters (lo res for the background and higher quality for the foreground) to make the audience look like they're having fun.
Unfortunately I couldn't get rid of the noise in the light beams. I could have used even higher quality settings, but I was afraid of the rendertimes...

Dune

Aweseome, it really shows they're having fun. Crowd is great too. Too bad about the grain, it's probably a heavy metal band playing rough sounds. Did you try to reduce the pixel noise threshold? I mainly use AA6, but almost always have to reduce the PNT to 0.03 to loose the grain with the robust sampler, even with cloud quality at 1 or 2.

Hannes

Thanks Ulco!! No, I haven't tried yet. I gotta admit that I haven't really understood this pixel noise threshold thing so far, but I'll try. Thanks for the tip!

Hannes

Hmmmm... my PNT WAS already at 0.03... ???

Dune

Then maybe you had AA8? Noise is often a problem, I have to admit. Atmo samples up? Though I wouldn't know what the atmo would have to do with such close-up scene....
ah, maybe one of the light variables should be turned off, I just remembered. Glow? Shadow?

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on March 08, 2023, 03:49:39 AMThen maybe you had AA8? Noise is often a problem, I have to admit. Atmo samples up? Though I wouldn't know what the atmo would have to do with such close-up scene....
ah, maybe one of the light variables should be turned off, I just remembered. Glow? Shadow?
Well, I had AA9. Do you mean, I should decrease to 6 to get less noise?
And I think turning off glow or shadows wouldn't be very helpful, since they are crucial values for this kind of image. However, I know, that additional lightsources were always quite problematic in terms of noise.

Hannes

OK, I just set AA to 6 and found that the PNT automatically changed into 0.05. So I'll render the next one (another stage view of the last open air scene) with AA6 and PNT set to 0.03. Let's see, if this helps.

KlausK

Hi Hannes, ! ROCK ON !

Remember this?

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23919.0.html

There were a few discussions about spot lights and visible light cones back then.
This was my take at it. Perhaps that helps...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

Oh thank you, Klaus! I forgot about this thread. Or maybe I missed it. The idea of multiple spotlights at the same location with different settings producing almost noise free light cones sounds fantastic!

I have 76 spotlights in this scene.... :o

...maybe I'll denoise it in post... ;)
Anyway thank you! It's good to know next time I'll do something with (way less) spotlights.

Hannes

Quote from: Hannes on March 08, 2023, 04:58:25 AMSo I'll render the next one (another stage view of the last open air scene) with AA6 and PNT set to 0.03. Let's see, if this helps.
Well, it didn't really help. I decided to denoise the light cones in post.
Additionally I created a bump map for the cymbals, which made them look more real. And I added some food and a beverage. This wasn't my best decision, since this bloody pint took me more than 3 hours to render! Only the beer!! However, it showed me, that the prospect of beer makes me quite patient.

Dune

Wow, terrific! Crowd is even bigger so it seems. Too bad about the noise, but post works. The beer is worth the waiting time!