Rock formations how to

Started by vigia, March 04, 2023, 06:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigia

Hi everybody, I´m a new user of terragen and I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction to achieve this kind of formations. I´ve been watching the tutorials and searching through all the available information in the forums and internet but i can´t wrap my head around this . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dune

I would probably make the mountains, followed by a compute terrain, and in the surface layer section further down, use displacement intersection. The patch size of compute terrain determines how big the snow fields will be. I like to make the patch size maybe 100-150 sometimes for really big fields. But below the compute terrain, before the surface layer with the displacement intersection, you can add some fractal (as child of another surface shader for instance for some control over altitude at which you want these spikes) and displace the terrain up (vertical). Where the next surface layer intersects, the snow fields will remain smooth, but the 'rocky' areas keep those spikes.
For good smooth snow, forget about the fractal warp that is there by default (it will distort and roughen the snow).

Welcome to the forum, btw.

vigia

Hi, Dune, thank you for your reponse and the welcoming to the forums, appreciate it. I´m not so interested in getting everything in the image together, my focus is in getting the shapes of the rocks,the big forms, the jagged edges and the stepping, that seem to be very hard to achieve...

Dune

That is not easy indeed, but the fractal warp shader may help. Small scales (like 0.04 or so) will harden the effect, the size determines how far these hard edges are apart. Here's a basic file.

vigia

Tank you very much! I will take a look to the setup, very generous of you sharing this!