Cathedral

Started by Mahnmut, April 10, 2023, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

OK, all the remarks already made aside, here are my two cents:

- I really like the idea and the renders so far ;D

Since English is not my first language this might sound somehow harsh or arrogant even.
Not intended. Sorry if it does.

Everyones perception of "reality" is different and I have to say that in my mind your idea is not
coming across as strong and powerful as it might.

First thing is the perspective aka the point of view you put the viewer in.
To get a feeling of the gigantic height of the cathedral looking up a bit more would help.
Also or else, some sort of barrel distortion on the lens would make the columns converge more reaching upwards.
Like taking a picture from streetlevel straight up along a scyscraper.

For me the dimensions do not really show. The darker trees at the foot of the left column, the trees on the hills behind the grass field and the grass itself. I think the perspective is too flat, everything seems too close together even though the greens alone should cover quite some distance.

Maybe that`s why others ask for birds and boats etc. There is not really something in there which gives the viewer a sense of scale relations. If you want to tell us the grass in the foreground is a few centimeters high you should give us something which indicates that. Just for a test put a "real size" human figure in the foreground and check what it is doing to the view.

Another thing might be the use of colour here. Perhaps break up the greens with a bit of air perspective - everything getting slightly more blue-ish and more washed out the farther away it goes. That would create more depth and feeling of distance as well.

Right, before I go too far with my comments I`ll leave at that.
These are just some points that would make my brain click to your intent more.

Ist immer ein bisschen schwierig mit der Kritik in einem Forum.
Aber sei versichert, dass ich nur soviel zu Deinen Bildern schreibe, weil ich die Idee und das bisherige Ergebnis richtig Klasse finde!

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Mahnmut

Thanks Klaus for the input, I see what you mean.
I just decided to spend a little less of my time at the computer, but I will surely come back to that image.
Some of the things you recommend I already tried to achieve, against some of it I decided. There are also some !double binds" ivolved that are hard to resolve.

- Looking up and seeing the real close foreground is not easy, thats why I inserted the branches in the upper left corner. Some flowers or similar could also help the foreground.
-Planes I don not want, boat perhaps, flock of birds Ok, Hannes has provided one, but its to chaotic for the mood I intend. Thought about a stone watchtower on the hill in the middle.
-Clouds I could not make look good yet.

Mahnmut

Concerning air perspective its also complicated, if I make the atmosphere so dense that it shows strongly in the midground, the background disappears in the mist.
A problem that I also have with my mars pics, I want to keep all that beautiful detail, and at the same time make it look realistically big.
The sizes of the trees I will have to look at again.
Another thught concerning the point of view: I aimed more for the vast distance than the immense height.
Give me some time, there will be more iterations.
Schönen Gruß,
J